coral help!

SexyKatey

Reefing newb
So i went to big als yesterday and purchased what i thought was a goniopora coral when in fact is isnt. I believe the coral i bought is a type of tree coral. Its pink looks like a tree and prickly like a cactus. Does anyone know what kind of coral this is? Also its sort of flopped over in my tank due to it being unhappy. Can someone tell me how to make it happy. Does it like low or high flow, or strong lighting

My first thought was a carnation coral...the goni's aren't really the hardiest of corals and usually don't last long in captivity.

Also, a goni (flower pot coral) is different from a gorgonian, which is what i think you were looking for

goniopora
p-86642-flowerpot.jpg

gorgonian
p-89636-gorgonian.jpg

so it is in fact a carnation coral, and its slowly dying, my water parameters are amazing and its still not happy, can anyone tell me a bit about them in regards to lighting and flow? cause i cant get mine to stand up

Well, for starters they are really hard to keep even in the most mature of systems, so you already have that working against you, so dont be surprised if it doesnt make it.

Personally, i think you would be better off returning it to the store. They arent photosynthetic, so they must be feed a pretty constant stream of enriched brine shrimp, plankton and other microscopic food designed for filter feeders.

In such a young tank you would have to add food for them almost constantly, which would be really hard on your water quality.

thanks little fish people in the stores piss me off! first off he tells me its some other coral and secondly tells me its ok for beginners arghhhhh this is frustrating

You have consider that fact that many people who work in LFS are only working their for the pay check, many of them dont have tanks, and just because you have a tank doesnt always mean you always know what you are doing. Many people are happy to keep throwing stuff in their tank in the hopes that something works, and if stuff dies, then they just go get something else.

I would highly suggest spending some time looking at places that sell corals online. They usually have the correct picture with the product, that way you can familiarize yourself with what the coral should look like and what its needs are. That way you are better armed when you go into the LFS, because you know what the coral you want should look like. Plus you will know ahead of time wether or not that type of coral will do ok in your system.

The best place to look is this place: Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
The "stats" for their corals and fish are the most correct IMO. The only ones i dont think they are correct on are some of their recommendations for tangs and triggers. The one downside to that site is I dont think their coral pictures are the best.

The site i like to look at for pictures is: Buy Saltwater Fish & Coral - Marine Fish, Live Coral, Salt Water Aquarium Fish, and Tropical Fish from BlueZooAquatics
But i dont think their recommendations for tank sizes for the vast majority of their fish are very good.

so it is in fact a carnation coral, and its slowly dying, my water parameters are amazing and its still not happy, can anyone tell me a bit about them in regards to lighting and flow? cause i cant get mine to stand up

This is most likely your problem -- like little_fish said, they don't do well in clean water, as they need a constant food source. They are non-photosynthetic and should be placed in a shaded area.

Back