Coral ID

Washburn82

Reefing newb
My friend gave me this coral tonight he wasnt having much luck with it. He thinks it was because lack of lighting he has cheap marineland regular leds. I know its a type of brain. A closed brain coral perhaps? Also you can see that the colour is fading on the one side any ideas what could cause this as well as how to nurse it back to good health? If its the type i think it requires med flow and med light. They like being on the substrate and tend to eat after lights out. Any input would be much appreciated i hope to bring it back to good health with some help :)

IMG_20111219_193856.jpg

IMG_20111219_193844.jpg

I believe your correct Waddi thanks. There are so many mixed opinions online some say they require med light but will do just fine in high light. Others say that they will fade with too much light . Which leads me to beleive that is the cause of the fading colour. If so my lights will be overkill for this coral. any ideas?

Just make sure you put it on the bottom of the tank first to acclimate it, maybe chop down your lighting period a little.
What lights are you running sorry?

The Coralife Aqualight duel High Output lamp 36" 39 watt each 1 10,000k daylight along with 1 Actinic Bluelight. And 4 double bright leds at night.

Always the bearer of good news Waddi! Thanks man. Any ideas on the loss of colour ? Or do they just do that sometimes maybe? My camera doesnt do that coral justice in real life its colours are quite vibrant.

Loss of colour could be a last ditch effort to save itself, basically the zooxanthellae inside it, which gives its colour (i believe) and which gives the coral energy from light, it will expell it. Im not sure on this.
But if you start feeding it well, im sure that it will come right around. Just pay close attention and give it some nice meaty foods, you should be fine.

Thats it as far as i can think, good feeding, and keeping levels in line and stable will make for a good road to recovery

Well my params have been remaining stable, im keeping up with my weekly water changes and my nitrates are down to around 10ppm. Recently checked my calcium its around 480 so that should be good. I read they are night feeders so im keeping my eyes peeled for tentacles under my blue led lights. Though its first night here im not expecting much.

It looks to me like the tissue is receding on the right hand side there. It could possibly be too late to save it. But, brains are very resilient. Keep the water quality good, and stress levels down. It could very well make a comeback. Feeding, IMO could be too much for it at this moment. Give it a few weeks to settle in then try feeding small chunks once a week or so.

i would try feeding small mysis. that will help it recover. i buy corals at my lfs that are dying all the tyme and 90 % of the time they recover

Thanks guys. Im keeping a close eye on it to see when and if its tenteacles emerge. I read it means thats when they are hungry. I got my turkey baster at the ready.

Yup thats when im looking. I got a mix of brine shrimp, those tiny shrimp that start with a C cant remember the name right now and i beleive its phytoplankton slurry for it when its ready to eat. Im also going to place a cleaned out half of a pop bottle i cut ,over top when i feed it so it doesnt all get washed away.

Well update on the brain, i beleive ive had luck with it. I fed it last night placing the bottle over it and basting it with various shrimp and plankton. Well this morning i noticed the burnt orange part was much more fuller and vibrant. Here is a pic compared to the first one i took to me anyways it looks better.
Nothing jaw dropping or anything, there is still the bleached or dead part at the back but i hope its progress.
before
IMG_20111219_193856.jpg

After
IMG_20111222_203321.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Erin, so are you. Lol sorry had to say it. :D It is under a different light then the first pic i use my doublebrights at night for the blue leds so i just turned them on and snapped a pic. But i agree , it is looking better.Hopefully with more feeding in time it will be one healthy brain.

Back