Coral Not Opening

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys,
I noticed this coral is not opening for 3 days now. I am very unformilliar with corals so far, and cannot figure out why. I will measure my levels tonight, but does anyone have this happen before?

It looks like this now:

This was last week:

Almost 3 years. I have a blue chromis, clown fish, blue spotted puffer, coral beaufy, green star polyps, and an anemone. The coral is on the other side of the tank from the other stuff, I have 2x 175 watt metal halides and 2x 40 watt flourescent lighting, nothing else is really affected, but I just had a brand new (friday) yellow tang pass away this morning...I have to test my water...going to do that now.

Alright...nothing looks out of range:
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
PH: 8.4
Nitrate: 5-10ppm (same color on test kit)
Calcium: 450ppm

That doesn't explain the death of my fish or the coral not opening up....I have checked all of my timers and the full daylight is 12 hours with a simulated sun up...one bulb than another, then vise versa for sun down...and actinic stays on for an additional our at night...no other fish seem out of the ordinary....FRUSTRATING!! haha

thanks for any help in advance
-Dan

I haven't seen any...just might be a nocternal thing...should I pop the lights on after they have been to sleep for a few hours and check? It's frustrating too I have had it for about a month and it's starting to grow off the frag rock and down onto my live rock, then all of a sudden friday morning it was closed...and has stayed closed ever since.

If the coral is xenia, you may just be unlucky. Some people can keep it, some people can't. No one really knows why, in some tanks it just tends to melt away.

I'm confused as to why it was growing for a while tho, then all of a sudden it took a crap! I would hope that if it was unhappy it wouldn't grow at all right?

I had the same problem with xenia.When the tank was fairly new(running less than 6 months) the xenia did good.Then once things got settled in,the xenia just melted away.
But that dont really explain it with your tank being as established as it is.
Any chance the coral beauty is picking at it?

Do you feed the corals? Trace elements and stuff? I know my corals love zooplankton, and the fish dig it too.

Alright, I couldn't make it back to my office last night to check for critters, but this morning the coral is partially out again, just a few sprouts are sticking out of the "bubbles"...so it looks like it might be coming back open? The coral beauty shows no interest in it as of right now, but he could me picking at it without my knowledge I guess.

Back