Coral Problem

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I recently bought a green open brain. I have never owned one before, one of those meaty, fleshy cool looking green ones that we all envy. Anyway, after acclimating it, normally, as I have with all my other corals, it sits on day 2, deflated. I was told that they need to be on the sand bed, so, it is. I was told the lighting of my T-5s should be excellent for it, needing lower current. So, there it sits, deflated. I noticed that it had some white slime, almost like a shed from a leather, last night when the lights went out. It was still present during most of today and, well, still it sits, deflated. No teeth or skeleton showing, but it is just flat-ish. Ideas? I thought of trying an airpump for my basketball, but refrained. SOOOOO, what do you think?

-Doc

Hey doc I did some searching around and I think you may have been misinformed on the brain placement. I have no experience with corals or saltwater at all but check out this link says it need med to high light.

Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia sp.)

I guess it does say low placement though, after re-reading I would just adjust it til it gets happy...maybe Im just a dumb newbie too, IDK.

Last edited:
Yup,

that is my coral. the metallic green is really awesome. I have him right on placement according to the LFS and that sheet. Maybe it just needs time, but I am interested to see if I am missing something. What about the slime coat? normal for anyone who has kept them before? Reef, John, Biff?

-Doc

Give it a few days. Mine was like this for 3-4 days. Every now and then it will deflate for a couple days and then it will blow back up. I think they like low-medium light and same with the flow.

yup, that is what I got him in. I will wait it out for a few days and see what happens. I am quite excited for this coral to survive and look cool.

-Doc

It's best that they be placed on the sand because they inflate and deflate and if you put them on the rocks, they can fall off or cut open the bottom of themselves when they move.

Mine will stay deflated for a couple days at a time, so I'd say to give it more time to acclimate. This morning, mine was massive, and now it's 1/2 the size it was before, so they seem to go in cycles.

That is comforting to hear Biff. I am so fearful of losing it. It truly is the best specimen I have ever seen. I will post a pic when it fills out

-Doc

I'm not sure what the white slime is Doc.I had my two for over a year now and never seen any slime.Biff is right about the sandbed.The rock work can damage the the tissue.You have plenty of light to have them on the bed.Maybe they just need more time.I use to feed both of mine krill/mysis once a week the first six months.I don't feed them anymore and they look just as healthy.

I am hopeful nothing is wrong. I hate blowing $60 for nothing. It is SO big and pretty. I will cross my fingers

-Doc

I had one awhile back. I touched the flesh by accidently and I saw the slime you are speaking of. It seem like it was shedding the fleshy coat. Mine did like to eat about once a week right before the lights went out. Wish I would never have traded that piece.

Back