coral propagation / frag tank set up

sluggerdood

Reefing newb
i was thinking on selling fish out of my home but you guys turned me onto propagation instead thanks for that. i was wondering though how exactly should i set up my propagation tank. i have a 29 gallon long tank. should i go bare bottom or add substrate ? what light should i use over the tank . i have like 5 250 watt MH ballasts kicking around . could i use just one 10K bulb over it ? i also have a 2X96 watt power compact ballast. do i need to put actinic blue over it also or could i just run daylight ? also what kind of reef supplements will i need to add for the health of the coral ? i am fairly new to all of this and i want to do it right the first time .. so any help or advice i would appreciate.

Please dont double post threads.

But you would set it up like a normal reef tank with lights and water movement. Toss in a fish or two, and some live rock. You dont need sand or a major CUC. Do you tests like normals, dose if test indicate a need for it and do regular water change.

Personlly, i think if you are asking these kinds of questions, you probably arent ready for propagating and selling corals. What is your luck with the corals you do have? Have you had good growth with them? What types of corals have you kept?

Please dont double post threads.

But you would set it up like a normal reef tank with lights and water movement. Toss in a fish or two, and some live rock. You dont need sand or a major CUC. Do you tests like normals, dose if test indicate a need for it and do regular water change.

Personlly, i think if you are asking these kinds of questions, you probably arent ready for propagating and selling corals. What is your luck with the corals you do have? Have you had good growth with them? What types of corals have you kept?

hammer coral ,torch coral,frogspawn,mushrooms of all kinds , galaxia, tons of birdsnest variations, invertabrates like RBTA and carpet anemones. all have done well in my tank and have grown, just used trace element additive. i used a 96 watt pc actinic , and a 10k MH 250 watt. im just looking for the best way to keep coral that have been fragged is all. i have experience with corals and inverts. i just dont know how to keep coral that has been fragged alive. i assume it is a pretty traumatic thing to the coral.
and i re posted the thread in the correct category didnt think that was something bad to do.....

If you have experience with all of those corals then you know what you need to make them grow. To recover from fragging, all they need is good water conditions.

And next time just ask a mod to move the thread.

Back