Coral Weirdness

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So, I came home from work just now and I noticed a few of my corals were all closed up. All my xenia have sucked their ployps into the stalks and my goni is all closed in. I checked temps and that was OK. The rest of the coral looks normal. The hammers are out like normal and the SPS are budding and looking, well, like stone, but pretty colorful stone.

I didn't feed the fish yesterday...and maybe not the day before either, I wonder if the fish were nipping or if the shrimp were bothering them. I looked for critters crawling along the stalks or base of the coral and found nothing. One of the trumpet corals has a weird thing on it. I will see if I can get a picture or two to post real quick. I would like ideas in the mean time. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Doc

Well, you just had flatworms annihilate your aquarium I wonder what else Doc's Tank O' Bad Karma has in store for him!

I think if the fish were hungry and nipping, they wouldn't be going after the xenia though. I'd give it a day and see if they shape up tomorrow, it's really hard to tell what's going on sometime.

tough one. COuld be the not feeding if you have fish that need to eat alot. Usually however, fish wont starve after just a day or 2 so i'm pretty clueless. I say feed and see if it helps per dustins advice.

I tossed in a few cubes of plankton as soon as I got home and took these pics.

Here is my goni:
PB180003.jpg

and the xenia:
PB180005.jpg

and:

PB180006-1.jpg

After taking the pic, I noticed the serpent star, who normally hides during the day crawling around near the xenia. Wonder if he got too friendly with the polyps and annoyed them enough to retract

-Doc

What has me really weirded out is this thing where a trumpet head used to be. Almost looks like a bizarre ricordia from hell. Ideas? disease? this coral as been going downhill lately and if it is a disease, I will toss it. Help?

PB180004-1.jpg

PB180007-1.jpg

I hoped to save it because the blue color is really striking. No idea what this is though.

-Doc

First thought was a majano anemone.But it DOES look more like a ric.

Just a thought Doc.But check your alkalinity,PH,and calcium.

That is most definitely a ricordea. NICE hitch hiker!!

Do you ever target feed your star? He may be getting hungry and is roaming for food. If you see his legs sticking out during feeding time, it may help to place some pieces of food on them for him.

That looks like a ric to me too.I am almost 100% sure the xenia and goni was touched by something to cause them to retract.I know a healthy goni when I see one and that is a healthy goni with its polyps retracted.

That looks like a ric to me too.I am almost 100% sure the xenia and goni was touched by something to cause them to retract.I know a healthy goni when I see one and that is a healthy goni with its polyps retracted.

I am glad you think he is healthy. I just adore that coral. It is my favorite. Had him for well over a year now and he just keeps getting bigger

-Doc

looks like a ricordia unless it is one of those crazy diseases where it disguises as a ricordia and takes over the world!

You've made it through the hard part.Give it another year and she might spit out babies.

That would be SO awesome. Just to celebrate as a proud papa, I would send you a little "Don Goni" to care for of your very own. :Cheers:

-Doc

That is most definitely a ricordea. NICE hitch hiker!!

Do you ever target feed your star? He may be getting hungry and is roaming for food. If you see his legs sticking out during feeding time, it may help to place some pieces of food on them for him.

If that is a Ric, I am glad I didn't pay for it. I didn't know they made an ugly grey Ric like that one. Interesting, I should culture it and sell it in stores around the country! BTW, all knowing Biff..... what kind is it? Clearly a Florida, but, um....colorless?

As for the serpent star, I have never in my life fed one. I will consider adding him to the target feeding I do weekly for my corals. I can shoot some plankton his way.

-Doc

BTW, all knowing Biff..... what kind is it? Clearly a Florida, but, um....colorless?

As for the serpent star, I have never in my life fed one. I will consider adding him to the target feeding I do weekly for my corals. I can shoot some plankton his way.

Is the ricordea getting light? Like other types of shrooms, they'll gray out if they are shaded.

Your star will probably like bigger pieces than plankton. Mine like chunky meaty foods.

The thing in the pic is not a Ricordea, It's a Yuma. I have a Rock of them I frag off all the time. They are simular to Ricordea, but the are bubbled ( like pimples ) rathe than flat like Ricordea. Yuma's are not stinging corals, so I wouldn't say that is what's wrong with the trumpet. They feed mainly off of light and come in many colors. It just may not be getting enough light and that's why its gray, or that could just be it's color too. They will also eat meaty foods like brine shrimp or mysid if you target feed them.

:)

Back