Coraline algae bleaching

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
All my coraline algae is turning white. All my parameters and tank temp/salinity are within the norm. I add redsea calcium +3 w/ strontium,molybdenum, and iodine once a week. Does anybody else know what might be going on?

i have some white coraline on some of my rock, it has been there ever since i got my rock, along with some red a purple too

cant really tell whats going on hawks...i had some rocks that had coraline , but some die off ocurred and it turned white...ive never heard of white coraline...especially if your parameters are ok....lets see what the forum has to say about this..

I've heard that to much iodine and stuff can kill coralline.Also a change in lighting can bleach it.
Whats your alakinity and calcium levels at?

You shouldn't need to add iodine if your doing your normal water changes. The only thing I add to mine is calcium and thats only because I was/am using IO salt.

STRONTIUM
Strontium is the element used in fireworks for red colors. It is also the reason coralline algae is red. Testing is not important. If your coralline algae starts to bleach, your strontium is low. Add more strontium and coralline growth increases.
This is what puzzles me.

Maybe you should use seperate chemicals. I dont think you should add a all in one because if your low on or two things then you could overdo it on the others.

Good point bobby. I went and looked at some purpleup at my lfs and it seems to kinda be the same but not. I may buy some and see how it goes

If you look at the ingredients of Purple Up,you will notice that all it is aragonite that has been pulvarize.The same goes for Aragamilk which is basically the same thing.

IMO,keeping calcium,akalinity,strontium,iodine at the proper levels as well as moderate lighting and it will come back.Okay,so I really got that from another site.I heard phosphate and nuisance algae inhabit coralline algae growth too..Its normal for bleaching and die-off on new systems but Hawk,I dunno how long yours has been up.

i use seachem reef complete, and purple up twice a week just for iodine, and seachem reef carbonate. If you want some good coralline algae growth read up on it first dose with pickling lime mrs wages brand. Another thing that can bleach out corraline algae and cause unwanted algae growth is what i have a problem with in my big tank is phosphates. High phosphates can keep corraline algae from growing. I can put in a nice big purple piece of rock in my large tank and purple with be gone in 2 weeks. But now its getting better cause now i got green and red coralline coming back so must slowing be coming back.

Heres something wierd..... I bought two expensive rocks covered in purple coraline and its all dying/bleaching but, on a side note there is redcoraline algae popingup eveywhere. I freakin loosing my mind. Although the red looks really cool.

i also use a hang on fuge so i can use a more natural approach to phosphate removal, chaeto. Hang on fuge or sump with a light for chaeto growth and also i have red mangroves in there also which helps with nitrates and phosphates like chaeto does to. Plus if problems with nitrates the only way to keep them all the way down is with clams, clams filter feed on nitrates as also need bright lights. i use cleaner clams(easy care and cheap) in my 29 gallon and especially in nano tank since no skimmer on nano. 125 has 2 crocea's, 1 maxima, 1 squamosa, and 1 deresa, i once seen a lady in our club whos tank was plagued by algae bad and another reefer sold her 2 very large clams to put in her 180 gallon tank and months later when i bought some live rock from her tank and some coral her tank was totally covered in purple coralline algae it was amazing to see so much purple and the only thing she did was quit adding so many additives, cause water changes replinishes trace eliments(from sea salt) and added huge clams which filtered out nitrates problems.

I have a small clam and my nitrate nitrites are allways 0. Rigo posted a vid of his new nano skimmer and on the box it has a nano like yours and mine on it. Im still trying to figure out if it will really fit in the jbj nanos. Do you think putting chaeto in the first chamber of the nano and the sponge filters in the secound would work? How or where did you buy your HOB fuge.... I want one for my 55 and if it cost to much I would rather build it then spend the money to buy it.
And to be honest I dont even own a phosphate test kit..... I change large amounts of water once a month so I dont worry about it to much.

i've considered taking top of nano and putting on one of those 150 watt halide lights so i can have open top to hang on a the nano remora protein skimmer and than i would use first chamber for chaeto. In the first chamber i have 2 sponges only so there is a open area on top were water flows in i put chaeto in there floating around since i added other pc light to hood it gets more light back there near chambers so hopefully the chaeto gets enough light.

i got my cleaner clams from this website Livestock

good prices, someone told me that clams bought from grocery store are still alive and can be placed in water to see if there still alive and then place them in tank, but i went with these from website.

Back