Coralline Algae?

pinstripes

Reefing newb
Im interested to know from the experienced aquarists when does the Coralline Algae takes over tank? I want to know when will my rocks turn all purple or not? Thanks

Pin:pooh:

Your calcium and alk has to be right before it starts to grow. Mine started about 2 months after it was set up then I had some bad blooms and it killed it and stoped untill the tank was 7 months old. Now it is growing on the glass and some spots on the rock. Its deffinetly not going to grow over night and just a guess but I would say when it does start to grow it will take a year or longer to cover the rocks if it does cover all the rocks. Just a guess though everyones tank is different.

Remember every system a little different.Usually 2-6 months you see some kind of growth.

In my personal experience coralline grows the best under PC,VHO and T5's.Coralline grows slower under intense lighting such as MH's.Also your need some coralline already,so if none of your rocks has coralline pick up a piece or two that has it.Brushing the rock that has some may help to spread the spores around.Coralline started to grow the second month my tank was setup.Slowly its seems to be getting faster.I don't think growth peaks til 6+ months though.Remember coralline also grows slower than the nuisance algae so don't let them out compete it.

One more thing,I'm currently not dosing anything but I check to make sure my calcium,akalinity,and iodine are were they should be.My next test kit will be a magnesium,dunno if magnesium has anything to do with it,I want to keep it close to NSW as possible.

Best o Luck

Last edited:
reeffreak said:
Remember every system a little different.Usually 2-6 months you see some kind of growth.

In my personal experience coralline grows the best under PC,VHO and T5's.Coralline grows slower under intense lighting such as MH's.Also your need some coralline already,so if none of your rocks has coralline pick up a piece or two that has it.Brushing the rock that has some may help to spread the spores around.Coralline started to grow the second month my tank was setup.Slowly its seems to be getting faster.I don't think growth peaks til 6+ months though.Remember coralline also grows slower than the nuisance algae so don't let them out compete it.

One more thing,I'm currently not dosing anything but I check to make sure my calcium,akalinity,and iodine are were they should be.My next test kit will be a magnesium,dunno if magnesium has anything to do with it,I want to keep it close to NSW as possible.

Best o Luck

Reeffreak pretty much said it as did the others. let the system mature a while, seed the system, and be patient. In closing I cant sign on to the idea that coraline will grow any different with intense lighting than with others. spectrum, is important, as well as the items mentioned in above posts.

from what little i have seen and heard the lighting intensity has more to do with what color that grows, rather than how fast. when i set my tank up i only had 40 watts on a 55 gallon tank for the first few months. and i was growing some dark red coraline, and a little bit of a turquise color. now that i have better lighting it's mostly turning dark purple. oh, and my coraline started to grow shortly after my tank cycled. it started spreading to the glass after four months, but a nuisance algae outbreak has wiped it out on the glass, and slowed it down on the rock. but, that's just my experience

also consider cleaning crue...what i mean is that theres some invertebrates that eats coraline...for example..my tank is like 5 months old now...theres only a few spots of coraline in rocks and back of tank...cause i have rock urchins that eats it...i almost doesnt clean my glass cause they do a excellent job...so coraline is almost absent in my tank....just let your tank mature..good ligthning and parameters ..shell bloom in no time...

Back