corals look bad

Al Vance

Reefing newb
hello:
I put in a leather and 2 bubble corals over the last 3 weeks
they looked amazing for the first weeks.
Now the leather has very few tentacles growing where each polyp used to be covered.
The bubbles look amazing but my goniopora hasn't opened up but 1 inch today

The leathers may be about to start shedding.Thats fairly normal for them.
The Goni on the other hand,can be fairly difficult to keep.
Have you been feeding the Goni?

I usually try to put Prime Reef close to it at feeding nut my clowns host it and im not sure how much its feeding.
How can I tell?
Is its mouth in each polyp. I did just move it last night to try that.
Thanks,
AL

I agree about the clowns killing your flower pot. On your other post with pictures I noticed it wasn't opening up completely. Your clowns seem to be harassing it a lot.

Yeah its been like that for a week or 2 now.
why I tried moving it.
My bubble Tip anemone was on top of that rock but has since moved to the back side of it. It looks terrible during the day and then beautiful at night with clown in it.

I dont know of any links right off hand.
But what they do is shed a layer of skin to clean themselves of bacteria,detritus,and old skin.They'll look like total crap for a day or 2,but then will open back up and look great untill they need to clean themselves again.

A couple weeks ago your emerald crab was hiding out in the goni and causing problems. Now your clown is hosting in the goni and causing problems.

Gonis are an LPS corals that REQUIRES A LOT OF FOOD. It also requires a peaceful environment - i.e. nothing lying around on top of it (emerald crab) and no fish constantly swimming around in it (clowns).

You're probably going to end up killing that goni if you don't spot feed it daily or even twice a day until it's health improves. Get the clown out of it. Swat at the clown with a net 100 times a day if you have too. They can be trained not to host certain corals. I did this with a clown that was hosting in my acans.

Gonis need to eat at least once a day. A sick goni should eat small amounts a couple times a day. You CAN feed a goni back to health, but it takes a lot of care and diligence on your part. I would suggest you cut up a 2-liter or 1- liter plastic soda bottle and place it over your goni during feeding time. Simply cut the bottom out of the bottle and remove the label. Run it on the top shelf of the dishwasher with some baking soda - NOT LIQUID DISHWASHING DETERGENT - and get all the glue off.

Now when it comes time to feed, simply remove the lid. Push it down over the goni slowly so as not to disturb it. If it retracts, wait for the polyps to come back out before feeding. Use a turkey baster or other suitable device to GENTLY blow some food into the bottle. Put the lid on the bottle to keep tank critters out. Now leave it alone to eat and digest for an hour or two. When the polyps come back out, you can remove the bottle and allow water flow to gently clean it off and wash away any poop and uneaten food.

You don't have to feed it anything exotic. Marine Cuisine makes a meaty food for most carnivorous fish. I think it's formula Two. Melt a cube of that and mix it with a little saltwater in a shot glass. Suck it up with a turkey baster and feed through the plastic bottle opening.

Feed it. Right now. :Cheers:

Last edited:
It`s called sloughing. They will look bad for a few days and then will rebound and look good for a few weeks and then slough again. They do it periodically. It`s just leathers.

RCPilot is the man for gonis!
Man, gonis are tough to keep for any extended period of time for most people. Hope everything works out, but for sure those animals molesting it are pissing it off big time, which will make feeding even more difficult. Supposedly they also like really high calcium levels (460-500+), like SPS, but that's mostly stuff I've read/overheard, so don't take it for fact.

How about a frogspawn?
Think they will host it?
I just took the Gonio too the store.
Waiting to put in another anemone.
He's getting some next week.
Has a couple pink tips for 20 bucks
What you think?

Oh shoot!! I guess I can try it. But it's probably gonna be more money than you want to spend just for shipping mushrooms.

But I guess if you can't get any corals up there it might be worth it.

Whats your postal code and city? I'll check the cost on shipping.

Back