cotton growth on live rock

brazzell

Reefing newb
so i went to the fish store to buy some live rock. 1 piece had a white tube sticking out of it. the lady took it out of thetank i said to fill it with waterright away and she didnt she put a wet papertowel in the bad. soi get home and put it in the tank right away. and i wake up today and where the white tube was it has like cotton growth around it and the tube is slanted. what could that be? most likely a sponge that she killed? but the cotton is my issue help is appreciated. the lady was an idiot i can tell or racist. she also bagged up my damsels together. 2 domino and 1 yellow tail which the dominos chewed up.

Yeah you shouldn't have gotten two different types of damsels they are mean fish.
And thats how they package live rock. with wet paper towels.

IF your tank is only 2 weeks old its not fully cycled and to soon for that many fish. Also is this the first live rock you have put in there?

It sounds like a q-tip (or scypha or pineapple) sponge.

And Adam is right -- it is normal for live rock to be packaged in wet paper towels or wet newspaper.

Yeah you shouldn't have gotten two different types of damsels they are mean fish.

IF your tank is only 2 weeks old its not fully cycled and to soon for that many fish. Also is this the first live rock you have put in there?

I've seen different types of damsels in the same tank before. Fish stores included.I have 3 strip damsels in with my domino and they are fine.And no it isnt the first live rock I've put in the tank. The tank is cycled the only fish I have are 2 small dominos and 2 even smaller 3 stripe damsels. I moved the yellow tail into another tank for now so it can heal.

For a short while any fish will be fine together, long term is a different story ;)

yeah from what i heard. i have a few hundred gallons in fresh water with all import fish . for some odd reason i have the magic 3 day cycle with all of my tanks. this is my 2nd salt and much larger. im just irritated with th eplace. and from what i heard sponges die when they hot the air. and i also requested her to bag the 3 stripe by itself. and the rock to be bagged with water and under water. like all of the other stores my buddies own. but time will tell. and i have a thing for fish/animals i bought a sick lionfish and hes doing good. even though he was over priced and had fin rot.

I just saw your signature and it said 2 weeks to hobby. So thats why I was assuming you just started your salt tank.

But it may seem fully cylced but new tanks tend to have swings but damsels are hardier.

I still don't know about all those damsels. They are some of the hardiest saltwater fish but tend to attack other fish and I'd be curious to see how they all do. Im betting as soon as you add the yellow one back to the tank they will destroy him as he is the only one of his kind. But thats just my opinon. and the LFS's I go to keep all their different damsels seperate. THe other one doesn't even sell them.

3 day cycle?

Must have used some amazingly good live rock or something. >_>

i always had good luck with tanks. people call me dr. dolittle. so i got my water tested yesterday. with 2 different test and everything was at 0. but my corals are not doing the best. my anemones love the tank. and i got some live rock for very cheap. $2per lb. i also was checking a website 100lbs of figi for $275 shipped. how about that. im also selling my protine skimmer if anyone is interested. and certain parts of wisconsin has hard water. so no need to adjust the hardness. my only problem is my alk is a tad bit on the high side. any suggestions. i know this is a run on. i just like to get questions out of the way.

i am posting one of my tanks. which cycled very fast. but if anyone wants to see my fish rooms and etc you can text me. 2623884520. and just let me know how you got my number. would like to have many fiends and possibly trade etc. "im not a creep" lol :bounce:

Attachments

• salt.jpg
    salt.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 463
Do you have any fish in there yet?
You're also going to want a lot more rock than what you have there.

yes i have 4 damsels 2 anemones a decorator crab, snail and blue legged crab. and a few corals. im getting plenty more rock. my rock is purpling very fast as well. tank on steroids. how about you. what do you have? didnt know soo many women was into salt.

yes i have 4 damsels 2 anemones a decorator crab, snail and blue legged crab. and a few corals. im getting plenty more rock. my rock is purpling very fast as well. tank on steroids. how about you. what do you have? didnt know soo many women was into salt.

Anemones aren't the best idea in brand new tanks, if they die they can release toxins that can kill everything. What are you running for lights?

You can see my tank if you click on the "L'extravaganza" link in my signature. :D

Anemones aren't the best idea in brand new tanks, if they die they can release toxins that can kill everything. What are you running for lights?

You can see my tank if you click on the "L'extravaganza" link in my signature. :D

my tank is fine. i have friends that run fish stores. i only had a nitirite spike which wasnt high at all. everything else was fine. and im running actinics. and 10,000k . im also aware anemones releasing toxins. they stink when they die. thats how you know for sure they are dead. im not new to aquariums. but this is one of my salts. my post 2 ago said to text to see my fish room. i breed and sell fish. also culture phytoplankton. by the gallons. so hit me up. cheap shipping and prices as well. oh did i mention i was/am a care taker of saltwater tanks. pay inst that good for my time, but i get to see new stuff every here and there. were the same age erin. but i have many years in the aquatics business. i just like input. from others. i miss colorado. i lived in colorado springs that where i went to college. i also clicked the link and it goes to one of your post. " not trying to sound like a d@#k . i got some tattoos to do. lol.

Last edited:

i bought 3 types to be exact. for my other tanks. the lady bagged them up all in the same bag. her fault. my money wasted.

3 day cycle?

Must have used some amazingly good live rock or something. >_>

yeah. wish i knew how to get video off my phone and post it on here. it would be banging. over 300 gallons in 1 room. building a 10ft long 4ft high acrylic tank in my pool room. all salt.

my tank is fine. i have friends that run fish stores. i only had a nitirite spike which wasnt high at all. everything else was fine. and im running actinics. and 10,000k . im also aware anemones releasing toxins. they stink when they die. thats how you know for sure they are dead. im not new to aquariums. but this is one of my salts. my post 2 ago said to text to see my fish room. i breed and sell fish. also culture phytoplankton. by the gallons. so hit me up. cheap shipping and prices as well. oh did i mention i was/am a care taker of saltwater tanks. pay inst that good for my time, but i get to see new stuff every here and there. were the same age erin. but i have many years in the aquatics business. i just like input. from others. i miss colorado. i lived in colorado springs that where i went to college. i also clicked the link and it goes to one of your post. " not trying to sound like a d@#k . i got some tattoos to do. lol.

I saw your post. I have lots of stuff in my tank right now... I don't know how much more room I have. Thanks, though.

I've worked for pet stores since I was 16. Always in charge of fish. So you could say I have "many years in the aquatics business" as well. ;)

Back