Cottonwood 125 Reef tank build

So my skimmer is not producing much in the way of bubbles any more and I have come to the conclusion it is not working right. At first it pulled some crap out. But I haven't got anything out of the tank in at least a month. Last night I brushed some junk off a rock watched it get sucked into the skimmer and shot back into the tank. This was a used skimmer that came with my set up, so I think I'm going to just call it a loss, keep the pump but ditch the skimmer and get a new one to put in my sump. What skimmer works best for good money. I'm looking at one of the reef octopus, but would like to stay under $200. Since I decided I would splurge on $500 for lights.

Got my lights ordered and should be here soon hopefully. We were in phx today so I got some small frags from a guy. I got some zoas, a small hammer frag, a frag with 3 duncan heads, a rock with some green star polyps and something I cant remember what it is right now. I also got a pair of maroon gold stripe clowns. My wife was with me and its been tough getting her into the hobby, but she really liked the clowns and she wanted the Duncans and the hammer frag so I thought if she picked some stuff then it will be easier to keep her on my side when I "need" other things! I'll get a pic but everything is closed up for the moment. I'll get some good ones once they come out under the new lights.

My wife was with me and its been tough getting her into the hobby, but she really liked the clowns and she wanted the Duncans and the hammer frag so I thought if she picked some stuff then it will be easier to keep her on my side when I "need" other things!

You may be smarter than I've given you credit for.:mrgreen: I love Duncans, feed those suckers some mysis and they'll grow really well for you.

Ok this is being dumb and it wont let me attach all the photos I want right now. But here is one of what I got, though its not great because nothing is out and the colors aren't bright at all. But its an idea until I get better pictures.

Edit: Ok the computer is being very dumb...I have no idea why it replaced that picture with the puppy and I'm tired. So I'll try to fix it tomorrow. Sorry.

Attachments

• 101_0951.jpg
    101_0951.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 219
Yeah, its a sad story because we don't have any any more. That was about 2 years ago. But after the puppies the Mom Weim started getting really protective of my daughter around anyone but us. She never bit anyone but she would bark and she snapped a couple times. After the second time we gave her to some people with out kids. Then about a year ago, I lost my job and we moved into a small apartment, the male weim we had now lives with a guy I know in Prescott who has had weims his whole life. We have a house now with a yard and everything, but I don't think its fair to go ask for him back, to the guy or the dog, its a great home over there. I sure miss those dogs though, they are an amazing breed and two great dogs!

I just built an algae scrubber less than a week ago and I can tell its already working because the canvas is starting to turn green. I have about 25.00 in it. I have problems as well posting pictures on this web site too. dont feel bad. Check my tank out its in tank show cases its the 200gal built in the wall

Well I just talked to a guy who is friends with my little sister and little brother. I'm buying his complete set up for $200. I'm going to use most of the stuff on my tank, and probably end up selling what I don't use. I'd like to set up another tank for an angler or maybe a mantis but I don't want to do a full 65gal tank, so maybe if I find something a bit smaller I will. Here's what I'm getting and hopefully I can get my pictures set up right and working, I think I just need to rename them, as I might have some with the same name. I'll try to get them posted in the next day or two.

The Tank-
65 gallons (but 80-85 with the refugium)
48in. x 15in. x 17in.
Power Compacts Flourescent lighting system includes white, blue and moonlight bulbs and 24 hour cyclical timers. New bulbs are needed
Tank rests on 8 black cinder blocks; the refugium is easily accessible below
HUGE Protein skimmer powered by a Sedra Power Head KSP-5000
Main Pump is a Model 9.5 B Utility Pump
The tank is hooked up to multiple power strips arranged on a 4x4 behind the tank. There are plenty of outlets
Refugium also includes a carbon particle filtration bag and other filtering sponges in addition to a whole section devoted to natural filtration by sand, seaweed and live rock with its own lighting system
A bamboo screen covers the refugium
The whole system is accurately monitored by a ProHeat II IC Aquarium heater which will keep the tank within temperature tolerances of fractions of a degree
2 ZooMed PS 40 Power Heads provides a strong current in the tank
Also included are 2 algae scrapers and lots of piping, sponges, carbon filtration particles, a professional API test kit, PH buffer supplements, and some fish food

Fish and Corals
One mature Gold Banded Maroon Clownfish, 4 ¼ in. long.
3 Narcissus Snails and multiple crabs
Purple Mushroom corals
Various volunteer sponges and tube worms and feathers from the live rock
Approximately 70 lbs. of live Fijian rock- the rocks are experiencing a small seasonal macro-algae bloom which is in fact beneficial for many species of fish such as Tangs, or other invertebrates.
Approximately 50 pounds of live sand- it rests about 2 ½ inches deep in this size tank

Thaks, I'm finally about complete on my set up and ready to build up my coral stock. I was wondering though. My muchroom, green star polyps, and duncan close when I have my flow on, and only seem to open up when I have everythin turned off...I dont have much flow in my tank as is so I cant figure this out. The corals have only been in there about a week...maybe they are still getting used to my tank?...I rearranged my set up and am going to change my flow directions aroudn in the morning to see if that helps.

Pictures finally!
Small Clown
IMG_0979.jpg

Full Tank Shot (female clown keeps stirring up the sand)
IMG_0978.jpg

W/sump setup
IMG_0977.jpg

Starry Blenny, The Chicken, hiding like always
IMG_0973.jpg

Supposed to be purple mushrooms
IMG_0972.jpg

Zoa rock
IMG_0971.jpg

Scooter
IMG_0970.jpg

Hammer
IMG_0967.jpg

Duncan
IMG_0966.jpg

Not sure but my fav, should I clean off the slime stuff (white) that you see on it?
IMG_0965.jpg

BIG clown that needs a home
IMG_0962.jpg

I know it is...I feel so bad, but living out here in the boonies I don't know what else to do...I'm going to be in phx on wed and I will give it away if that's what it takes. I'm hoping I can get a frag trade from someone or a LFS down there at least though. Maybe I'll try to keep the small one and the big one and put the medium one in the sump until wed and see what happens....

Why is that big clown in the sump? Is it because he doesn’t get along with his tank mates? I heard those clowns can get aggressive when they get old.

Well I have since moved the big clown into my tank and removed the medium sized clown. It has gone to a new home.

Troy-They are very territorial and don't get along with other clowns. The small one is a male, where as the larger ones are usually female, or if paired the larger will become a female, so it is possible to keep a pair. The 2 I have in the tank seem to be doing well together. I have a picture of them together I just need to load it when I get home.

I also got some new coral frags last night. I got 3 different color candycane corals, 2 with 5 heads, one is a yellow color, and the other is a marron/rose color and a baby blue color one with 1 head. I got a bunch of zoas, an orange fungia plate type thing, a red and blue acan with about 5 small heads, and 2 small peices of dif colors of montipora mounted on one rock. I'll get some pics tonight of everything. Hopefully they will be open.

It isn't giving me the option right now to edit my post. I thought I'd put what I paid for everything to see what they compare to what others have paid and also just to give you an idea of what I have been finding. I got the candy canes for $20 all 3 frags. The zoas were $25 for all of them (one large branch peice and like 4 or 5 small rubble peices with random zoas 4 or 5 heads) $25 for the acan, $30 for the fungia, $25 for the monti. Oh and I also got a decent sized rose/pink colored anemone, about the size of an old silver dollar when its all closed up for $20.

Back