Crab - good or bad??

lilreefgirl

Reefing newb
I found this little hitchiker - does anyone know what he is and if he's good or bad? (sorry it's sideways - I couldnt get the photobucket url to attach)

Attachments

• tank 002.jpg
    tank 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 655
Bad, looks like it is a gorilla crab-pretty much will eat any-everybody!
the blacktip pinchers and hairybody are enough to id it -get it out while you can!

Bad crab. I take my gorillas to my LFS not sure what they do with them but I cant bring myself to kill them.

I released one into the ocean this past sunday he got lucky

Thanks for the info everyone!
Upon further investigation, he's actually dead - so tragedy overted - and no need to kill anything!

I released one into the ocean this past sunday he got lucky

Amber, you really should not put anything that was in your tank back into the ocean. You have no idea if they are carrying a pathogen or something else that is new to the area that can decimate the local creatures. Plus that crab alone might not be from that area, and could wreck havoc.

Amber, you really should not put anything that was in your tank back into the ocean. You have no idea if they are carrying a pathogen or something else that is new to the area that can decimate the local creatures. Plus that crab alone might not be from that area, and could wreck havoc.

It came from Tampa bay saltwater right down the shore a bit and has been in quaratine not in my tank.
But I know what you are saying.

Back