Cuc

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I am thinking about adding my CUC soon. I am looking at a small CUC package consisting of
12 - Blue Legged Hermits
3 - Red Scarlet Hermit
5 - Astrea Snails
5 - Margarita Snails
5 - Cerith Snails

How does this package sound to start for a 70 Gallon reef setup. This package they say is rated for a 15-20 Gallon setup. I just want to start small.

My understanding is this is too small, if you rank to your tank, the more efficient it will be and the less algae problems you'll have. They clean the left over food, stir the sand, etc.

And to let you know, the blue legged hermits are incredibly hardy, don't forget a sand sifting star or two for your size of tank can be a great addition, and great watching.

Just remember we don't keep fish we keep water. It's all about the params!

This will just be the start, I am just coming to the end of my cycle soon (I hope/think). I currently do not have any livestock in the tank, I will be adding more as the tank stabilizes. I do not want to add to much at first. I don't think there would be enough food initially to sustain to many inhabitants at first. I do want to eventually add a star or two but it is my understanding that my tank will have to mature for awhile before I can add one.

not a sand sifting star it will end up starving out in your tank. A brittle star or two....:D
and if going with some of the hermits make sure to have some extra shells in the tank, could help minimize snail loss due to the hermits looking for a new home..

I would skip the margarita snails. Most of them are collected off the Pacific coast and they do not survive in the warm temperatures of our reef tanks. I don't see any nassarius snails on your list. Those are very important, as they keep the sandbed clean. Also, no CUC is complete without a brittle or serpent star, in my opinion!

Back