Looking for Feedback on my Aquarium Plan

UnshackledAI

Reefing newb
Hey, everyone!

I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I've gotten a 20g tank. It's cycling right now, but I'm planning what I want to put into it once it's cycled.

So far I've got the following plan. Looking for feedback/insight into whether it will work or not.

**Fish**

1 semi picasso percula clownfish

1 purple firefish

1 neon blue goby

1 tanaka's pygmy wrasse

**CUC**

1 yellow banded coral shrimp

5 red legged hermit crabs

2 cerith snails

3 nassarius snails

2 trochus snails

1 emerald crab

**Corals**

1 [nano mushroom 7 pack](http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+2790+2315&pcatid=2315)

I am planning on adding the fish first, over a period of time, then the CUC (also over a period of time), and then finally the coral. Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks for your help!

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs!
Looking at your plan I see a few things. 1) I know it doesn't seem like it but that is a lot of fish for a 20g tank. I like to push the limits on fish myself and it can be done but you will need to do it very slow. You need to be relentless with your water changes and tank maintenance for that bioload. 2) Adding all your fish and then your CUC is not a good way to do it. You need to get some CUC in place to help with the bioload from the fish and what you feed. I will usually start putting part of the CUC in before or at least with the first fish. 3) Make sure you are using sand if you are going to have the goby and wrasse.
How much live rock do you have in the tank? Are you using a skimmer or strictly just water changing? What type lighting do you have? (Softies like mushrooms are not very light demanding so whatever you have should be good but if you up the coral tree light intensities change)

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs!
Looking at your plan I see a few things. 1) I know it doesn't seem like it but that is a lot of fish for a 20g tank. I like to push the limits on fish myself and it can be done but you will need to do it very slow. You need to be relentless with your water changes and tank maintenance for that bioload. 2) Adding all your fish and then your CUC is not a good way to do it. You need to get some CUC in place to help with the bioload from the fish and what you feed. I will usually start putting part of the CUC in before or at least with the first fish. 3) Make sure you are using sand if you are going to have the goby and wrasse.
How much live rock do you have in the tank? Are you using a skimmer or strictly just water changing? What type lighting do you have? (Softies like mushrooms are not very light demanding so whatever you have should be good but if you up the coral tree light intensities change)

I have a deep sand bed so that won't be an issue. I'll admit I don't know exactly how much live rock I have, the LFS made it for me, it's 4 good sized chunks though, it fills up the aquarium pretty well. I don't have a protein skimmer, will get one if it's necessary. The light I have is an ORBIT Marine LED.

How many fish would you recommend? I tried researching, but I'm getting answers anywhere from 6 inches of fish to 20 inches of fish for my size aquarium.

A protein skimmer is not necessary in your size tank but you will need to be diligent with weekly water changes especially as you get more stock added.

I would start with a couple of fish from your list, with cuc in place and coral and see how it goes. If you are able to maintain your water chemistry with no nuisance algae then you can try adding another. A few fish that only get a few inches max should do great. Just take your time and stay alert because things change quickly in a 20g tank.

Welcome. I would slightly disagree with @salt_for_brains. If you have a deep sand bed (which I'm assuming you have set up as a refugium), you don't need to do a weekly water change. Every 2 weeks should be fine. Everything else is legit, though.

One thing we should ask though: does your 20 gallons include the DS refugium, or is the DS in addition to the 20 gallon display tank?

A number of the fish you mention there, I have in mine, and they all play nice together.

Back