Curing Live Rock

BigH55

I'm that guy
So I started curing my rock last night and had to wait until today to gt the pump for the skimmer. I came home to a udder foulness in my apartment like to other. As soon as I walked in, I knew the bacteria was workin. So I hooked up my skimmer and hopefully it will pull out some crap and make it smell better.

I remember that smell very well:mrgreen:
Matter of fact,it ALMOST got me and my tank both thrown outta the house:shock:
I had ordered 40 something pounds online to cycle the tank with.About a day after getting the rock in the tank,the whole house smelled like a sewage treatment plant.The temp outside was right at 15* and we had every window in the house open and fans going.
After that,the wife decided it was better if I paid more for my rock locally than to save a few bucks and smell up the house.:D

OMG does curing rock really start to smell that bad within a day????

I'm going to be buying base rock for my 125 and start curing them as soon as we get the tank up on the stand. Do you put anything in the rock to help start curing it? Or is it enough to just have it in the new saltwater with circulation? Not looking forward to curing it in the basement if you guys all say it smells bad. I got a ferret for that!!

Maybe I'll cure it outdoors since it's summer :)

i bought a bottle of bacteria to start it off. My skimmer put out two cups of skimmate in an hour and is still going strong. The smell is better but it still stinks like wet clothes that got wadded up and then dried. If curing do it outside on the patio or in the garage, not inthe laundry room like i did. I know what not to do next time.

i'd rather smell a turd covered in burnt hair.

or bigfoots dick!

Sex-Panther-Cologne.jpg

The funny thing is is that it was dry rubble rock. Ii guess the bottle of bacteria kicked in and atarted feeding on the dead stuff on the rock. Its getting better though. The skimmer really has helped.

I just had to laugh at "used indian food." I mean, the used stuff is so much worse than the new.

I get cured live rock these days. It costs a fortune, but sometimes you can find a LFS that will sell rock out of their display tanks. I got about 100lbs of base rock for cheap, and then 30 lbs of cured live rock for $10/lb :-0 The live rock came with so many good hitchikers: brain corals, an anemone crab, snails, sponges, etc. And no smell.

Im on a budget so buying cured was not an option. Plus ive never done it before and I like learning new stuff. It doesnt smell near as bad today.

Back