Current Nova Extreme Pro Opinions?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
Right now I have my 46 gallon running with a Current Sundial T-5 Canopy Light Fixture (4 39W T5 Bulbs for a total of 156 Watts). I am thinking about upgrading my lights and am looking at the Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 Fixture (6 39W T5's for a total of 234 Watts). I'm happy with my Sundial light fixture; it really is a good canopy. I just thought my corals might look even better and be even happier if I upgraded my lights. Any opinions on the upgrade? Any opinions about the Nova Extreme Pro?

The Nova Extreme Pros are great. I use them over my 90. I'm not sure if the sundial has individual reflectors, but the Pros do, and that is supposed to increase the light output from each bulb by up to 300%. I think your corals would look the same -- T5 bulbs are T5 bulbs, but the tank would definitely be brighter and it would be easier to keep more light demanding animals.

The Nova Extreme Pros are great. I use them over my 90. I'm not sure if the sundial has individual reflectors, but the Pros do, and that is supposed to increase the light output from each bulb by up to 300%. I think your corals would look the same -- T5 bulbs are T5 bulbs, but the tank would definitely be brighter and it would be easier to keep more light demanding animals.
Thanks, Biff. The Sundial does not have individual reflectors; that is a definite plus of the Nova. How long have you had your Nova? Are the fans loud? Any complaints?

I've had mine since...the beginning of this year or so? Like February I think? The fans aren't loud. When I had a 55 gallon tank years ago, I had the regular Nova Extremes. Current makes a good product.

I have mine going on two years and have no problems except the plastic legs split once. I'm glad the guy at TFP talked me into it instead of the other unit I was interested in.

That would work. Haven't heard good things about then though. You could use some simple timers from the Depot to save a few bucks.

Don't buy the Coralife timers. They suck bigtime. Just spend $5 to $10 at Home Depot, Walmart or Lowe's instead and get a regular plug-in timer.

What is so sucky about the Coralife timer? Does it just not work? And, what would I be looking for at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart - Do they have surges with timers built in like the Coralife one? (Sorry to be still such a noob after a year - I've been spoiled with the Sundial fixture having built-in timers...)

Yeah it just doesn't work. It loses time (I had to reprogram mine every week because it would be off by at least an hour within a few days). Some of them just don't program (no matter what you have it set to, the lights never come on, or always stay on). It's a total waste of money. I don't know about the surge protector. You can always just buy a surge protector and plug the timer into it.

Back