CurtisL's 40 breeder build

CurtisL

Reefing newb
Well i have finally gotten around to setting up a tank at the new place im at. well at least started the process of setting up a tank. i picked up a 40 breeder, stand, 20 long for a sump. lumenmax elite reflector, galaxy 250 watt halide, and im looking forward to getting her set up. here are some pics:

here is the old set up excited for the upgrade
ad217587.jpg

here is the new set up
0a73185f.jpg

the tank
68ad8530.jpg

the sump and included power center
cb7aca0a.jpg

the light set up, its is able to be put up and come down with a bracket
a5e655db.jpg

galaxy ballast
76a1cd1f.jpg

lumenmax elite reflector
5b1acab0.jpg

its going to pretty basic, trying to figure out what i am gonna do with the sump and what kind of skimmer, its going to drain into a sock, should i leave it baffleless and just throw a skimmer in it or should i put baffles and put in rubble and a skimmer that way? idk what the benifit of the baffles is.

only other things i need is a heater controller, powerheads, and a ro/di filter. and then i can get her wet.

i have all the dry rock, and sand ready to go as well.

input is welcome and appreciated, excited to get another tank going. to put all my money in it. :grumble:

The point of the baffles is to create different sections within the sump itself. Most sumps use 3 sections, intake, refugium, and return. The skimmer can be run off the intake or the fuge sections.

There is also a baffle setup that eliminates excess/stray bubbles. This would be placed just before the return section. The return section is where you would also see any water level change due to evaporation.

I use 4 chambers, while I know of many people who use none. It comes down to personal preference on this one!

Back