cvcdrk's 29g Mini Reef

An idea with the mysis take some and soak it in some garlic and then try feeding the clown the smell should get him eating the mysis. Other than that tank looks good keep it up

Last edited:
Yeah I could do that. Problem with that is that I don't want to get the scooter hooked on the garlic because I don't want to have to do that all the time.

I'm currently researching frozen foods that are more nutritionally balanced. I would prefer to find one food that has everything he needs to get large and healthy and that he also likes. I would like to feed this twice a day to him everyday and then throw in some bloodworms and mysis every once in awhile as a treat.

Food is a big issue for me, though. I only have access to Petco and what they sell. They do have formula 1/2 and stuff but I don't know if that is nutritionally complete or if he will even try it....and I hate buying a whole giant container only to find he hates it (there's a whole package of brine in my freezer that will just be wasted).

Next time I go I'm going to buy some formula 1/2 (whichever one is the saltwater I can never remember) and see how he likes that.

I'm still hoping to get a flame angel as my next (and last) fish. I really like them and their coloring. I'm trying to decide whether I want to get the fish first and then start adding corals or stock up on some hardy corals first and wait for the flame angel.

Also, my clownfish is so weird. He's starting to bug me. He spends all his time in one of two corners of the tank at the very top. I'm beginning to worry about him. He swims the whole time and mostly hangs out where he current is low. He IS very small (less than an inch long I'd say) but I've seen him occasionally pass in front of a powehead and he can speed up and swim with it.
It's like he just doesn't like the rest of the tank when the powerheads are on. Whenever I feed he is all over the tank. He usually eats quickly and spends the rest of the time I'm focused on feeding the scooter he is bouncing around the whole tank...even up front. It's annoying he won't do this when the powerheads are on.

Other than that things are going well.

That is totally normal clown behavior, and if you dont like it there are several other great fish that will do well in there. If you cant have many fish in your tank, you might as well enjoy all of them :)

I guess I don't mind it. He does eat well which I like. I would hate to just take him somewhere after I've cared for him. I would like to see him grow up to be big and plump and be happy. If I took him to Petco (if they'd even take him back) I'd always wonder if he found a good home.

I know I can't have a lot of fish but I'm hoping the Flame Angel will be the centerpiece of the three....even though my favorite will always be the scooter. He was the first and he's doing so well....he eats like a pig at every feeding and he's so active and personable. If me (or even the dog) is up close to the tank he's at the glass swimming up and down looking curious. LOVE HIM!!!!

I'm the kind of person who doesn't make rash decisions. I picked the clown out so I feel obligated to commit to giving him the best, happiest life I possibly can. If he wants to swim with his top fin out of the water in the corner of the tank then I'll let him. :-)

Hehehe my b/w pair just swim in one spot in the back corner of my tank. When i try and clean the glass, they viciously (as vicious as 1 3/4 inch clown fish can be) attack me lol.

I have the same problem with my clown. I turn the moon lights on and hes swimming all over the place as soon as I turn the daylights on he goes to the back of the tank and swims on the top.

I have also read that clowns like cooler waters 78 to 79 degrees.

Thats good. I keep my temp between 77 and 78 degrees and with the leds it is incredibly stable there. Ive considered raising it but things seem to do ok with it the way it is so why mess with it? Plus its right around seasonable temps and only a few degrees above where i keep the apt so in the unfortunate event of a power outage it will do less damage. :-)

Ok....so quick update:

I went to Petco and they were having a frag sale for some reason. $5 for a little frag of Dragon's Eye....so I figured why not? It is acclimating now so no pics of that until tonight. It was all closed up at the store, though....not ideal but I guess they had just gotten it today.

No other stuff to report. Due for a water change tomorrow or Friday. Probably tomorrow. The clown is more active but still likes the top of the tank. He found a place where he likes the current near the front right top of the tank so I got some decent pictures of him (decent as in...they're blurry like crazy but you can at least see him. he's really small. eating well).

Scooter: Today he is looking extra plump. :-)
bernard6.jpg

Duo: Was trying to get a good one of the porcelain crab and he popped out of a rock...
bernardandporci.jpg

Clownfish: He won't hold still and my camera is terrible.
blurryclown2.jpg

blurryclown.jpg

FTS: This is the tank at what I call "sunset". The lights come on when my girlfriend turns them on in the morning. When I get home from work I move the lights into a back position as in this picture to simulate sunset. Then I shut them off when I feed and then when I turn them back on they're just the blues...which then go off completely when I go to bed.
fts1.jpg

Thanks!

Ok so here is the zoa (Dragon's Eye). Still all closed up. He's under the lights now, though, and has been acclimated for about 2 hours. So we will see how he turns out.

dragonseye1.jpg

Also here are two snails who I just saw either fighting or mating...it went on for a good minute and then they just parted ways. I think the white spots all over my glass are snail eggs. They always form in weird lines.

snails.jpg

Sorry for the double post. I was trying to take some better pictures for my records and I noticed THIS.....what is it? Sorry for the bad picture. I can't get closer.

weirdthings.jpg

There are two possibilities as I see them...it looks as if it has 3 stalks about 1/8th of an inch long each sticking out from the rock. That particular spot doesn't have any algae on it but they ARE the exact same color as the mysterious green algae in the other pics which I am starting to be concerned about. Is this algae or some sort of polyp? Is it reproducing? should I remove it from the tank?

Oh an here's a couple more pics...my gf let me use her camera....

zoa.jpg

swimming2.jpg

swimming.jpg

hiding.jpg

fts-clown2.jpg

fts-clown.jpg

clownfish3.jpg

Why do you think this green algae is growing. Nitrates are <5ppm and I use only RO water.

It seems like the green stuff is taking a firm hold and my initial hope that it was green coraline was dead wrong. I'm reading about my options now.

What do you recommend I do? I've read various different things from leaving it alone because the tank is young and it will die off on its own to scrubbing it with a toothbrush while in the tank to introducing chemicals (which I don't want to do really).

Back