cvcdrk's 29g Mini Reef

So I went to a friends house and before I did I turned on the blue lights. I came back and it was wide open!
Is this a good thing? I can actually see the mouth. Should I try spot feeding it a little bit tomorrow when I feed the fish?

open.jpg

Ok I will try spot-feeding it this afternoon. The interview went well!

I took two better pictures of the new coral (whatever it is.....definitely a torch?). Does it look healthy? I'm not sure. Oh and one to document the growth of my Dragon's Eye.

thing2.jpg

thing.jpg

polyp2.jpg

I just fed the tank. It closed up a tiny bit when I sprayed it with some mysis shrimp. Looked like this:
duncan3.jpg

Now it's looking exactly what it looked like before.
Little_fish do you have any suggestions on flow/light intensity area (marineland reef capable leds) or basic care? Do you feed ours anything special to promote growth?

It's deff a Duncan coral. When I first got mine they didn't open up for almost two weeks or so for some reason. I moved them around a bit and found a spot where they are happy.

The good news is that it is already budding two smaller heads on the main tube thing. I see the little tentacles forming. Very cool stuff. It's growing so fast!

The weird news is that today after I fed the tank (and spot fed it a couple pieces of mysis) it started to expel what looked like a freaking hairball. I took a pic....is this its waste or something I should be worried about?

duncan5.jpg

Yeah that's what I figured. It just looked so weird! haha

Well today I did some major maintenance. It started as just going to do a 4 gallon water change...but I went to walmart and bought extra water and ended up doing an 8 gallon water change instead.

I bought some krazy glue too, and used that to secure some of the rocks better....then I realized that I wanted to make a couple of changes to the aquascape and that turned into more changes and I ended up building the whole archway below on the right side out of rubble using the glue. It turned out really well and I am really happy ith it.

I secured both corals. The Dragon's Eye in the same spot and the Duncan in it's new home. They're both unhappy with me...as is the rest of tank for moving so much stuff around and the water change...so please forgive the cloudy water and closed up stuff.

Pics of new aquascape (hopefully permanent):

Left side of tank:
leftside.jpg

Right side of tank:
rightside.jpg

From left and from right:
fromleft.jpg

fromright.jpg

New Archway which I built from just tiny pieces of rock leftover in a drawer:
diyarch.jpg

And the new archway (not easy to secure with the glue!) on the left with the duncan's new home (bottom left, closed):
newspot.jpg

Obligatory FTS:
fts-1.jpg

Thanks to both of you!

If anyone is interested, this quarters' issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine has some really great articles in it and it can be read, in full, here:
http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version23.pdf

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I would just leave it here in case anyone else would like to read it. There's a great article about anemones one about a 10 year old reef tank that is incredibly stable and the last article is about the coral colony known as "the unknown".

I just got a chance to read your article, thats really cool Hannah!! Thanx for posting the link cvc your right that is a good issue.

Back