CYano gets beat up!!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I waited a while before posting this because I figured I may get a little flak for my choices but here is my story and so far everything is good. I also wanted to be sure of the results.

I had an outbreak of Cyanobacteria in my tank. I do not throw a ton of food in the tank, I have plenty of good filtration and all that stuff.

So this went on for about 2 months or maybe even 3 months. I watch my large amount of Chaeto shrivel down to basically nothing. I thought it would pass but I got impatient.

The following are the steps and trials I went through.

Bought 3 Brand New Phoenix 150WATT MH Bulbs. Frikin great looking color by the way.

Bought new Chaeto from Live Aquaria which in my opinion has some of the finest available and better than any LFS from New Port Richey to Tampa(Florida) I went and got a new 2 pack of bulbs for my Chaeto which is the perfect temp.(will post temp later)(Little fish's suggestion)

I continuously cleaned the tank and use Dr. TIms Waste Away. I even cut the food back drastically and changed the water numerous times ahead of my normal schedule.

The results were decent and it seemed to slow it down but at times it seemed to be just as bad and eventually I ran out of Waste Away and while it never had the same steam it was still there.

I went to this really nice LFS where the tanks they install are fabulous and they do all the maintenance, like a really nice professional place. Their selection is better than most and the corals they have are also really nice.

The guy showed my 2 items to help rid the tank of the Cyano. I talked to him about how I did not want a band-aid or to put chemicals in my tank and that I did not want it to come back.

He said he has used this product many times with no issues on many of his customers nice tanks so I said OK I will do it.

I bought the product Chemiclean(liquid form)

Now before anyone who has something bad to say don't. I have read the goods and bads and decided to do it so it is too late. Especially since the results were amazing and exactly what I wanted. Yes some people have had issues but it is probably because they didn't follow directions.

Ok so I used it as directed and I used the airstone and no skimmer, no GFO and no Carbon running for 3 days. I did a scrubbing prior and changed my sump socks and all that. I did some scrubbing on day 2 for stuff I missed. I tested my PH constantly but it was always 8 or 8.1

On day 4 I took out the airstone, changed the water and turned everything back on. Only issue was the skimmer of course. It overflowed for almost 2 weeks and I did a 20% change every week by the 3rd week the skimmer was back to normal. That sucked but worth the time.

I think I had it bad because I did not have the skimmer off right away and it made it worse. My bad but whatever.

RESULTS

It has been a month or maybe 5 weeks since I did this.

1) My Chaeto is growing so much I am giving a HUGE wad to my friend. Between the cleaning and the new bulb it is thick and green and heavy and growing out of the water. My fuge is almost totally full and it is about 12 gallons in size if not more. In total I would say it has tripled at least in size in a month.

2) There is no sign of Cyano what-so-ever in the tank or the Fuge. The sand is very clean and everything from the fish to the corals looks superb and healthy and in fact the corals are growing great.

3) The water smells good, meaning even my skimmer water that I dumped this morning was less egg smelling than ever before.

4) Water is crystal clear to the max.

5) My sump sock that typically get changed every 3-4 days lasted 7 days before they needed to be changed and that is a huge WOW to me. Never had that before.

6) My skimmer is pulling a lot more crud from the water or at a faster pace then it ever has.

My final thoughts are that while Chemiclean is not for everyone, it worked brilliantly for me and I believe the results are showing that this was no mere band-aid for my tank and it really did make a big difference and allowed the things that keep this from happening to get back to work. It was the advantage they needed to beat the Cyano like a drum.

No animals were harmed in this process or none died. I feel they are all more healthy than ever.

NOTE: I emailed the owner of the company to tell them the dropper system on the bottle sucks. It is the kind that you can't always get even drops and sometimes 3 at one time.

He said they are aware and are making new ones. It is like they never tried to use the bottle before haha.

Ok I have the bulb. It is a Sylvania micro-mini CFL Instant On 6500K 23Watt(100Watt Replacement)

So far the best bulb I have used.

Any other questions just send me a Private Message!:heartpump:rofl:

Fuge-Bulb by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Back