Cycle wont start!! Plaese help

liga

Reefing newb
KK I know that this hobby is all about patience, but i have read that when you put in raw shrimp as your ammonia source you should see it rise in about a week. Now my problem is that i have had two shrimps(cocktail shrimp) in my 30 galloin tank and i still get 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 8.0 ph and im having an algae bom(i think its hair algae). I have also have had to rplenish the water that has evaporated. i akso have a sump/ refugium (20 gallon) dont know if that matter or anything. Can someone help me please?? Should i buy something instead of the shrimp. I have had the sand in there for 3 weeks live figi rock for 2 weeks.The rock was premium and cured. Please help i cant wait till i start to add corals and fish.

With the already cured live rock your tank might as well be cycled already, atleast for the small.amonpujt of waste produced by the shrimp, and is why your not seeing increase on ammonia. Just monitor for the next week or so and if no increase in amlnia/nitrite I would assume you could add livestock. Slowly GL sure someone else will chime in with info if I am cincorrect as I am a newb myself

I used cured live rock and as well only saw a small cycle

-owen

Back