Cycling of my tank

Definitely liquid. API is probably the easiest to find brand, and is pretty good. Salifert is the best brand, IMO but they are very expensive and you have to buy them at a fish store or online.

Ok thanks a bunch !! i think ive asked enough querstions for today im glad so far im on the right track in maintaining and keeping my tank perfect so far (crosses fingers ) haha thanks :)

When testing your Saltwater tank i was told that you only need to test nitrite nitrate and ammonia when its in the cycling phase and when you have fish and coral you only need to test calcium alikilinity and phosphate is this correct ?

You will always need to test for pH and nitrate, no matter what you have in your tank.

When you are cycling, you'll want to test for ammonia and nitrite as well.

When you have fish, add alkalinity to the list.

When you have corals, add calcium to the list.

I don't think there's ever a need to test for phosphate. Phosphate test kits aren't accurate, and algae uses phosphate up so quickly that you can get false negatives.

Nope, once you are cycled ammonia and nitrite wont matter as much unless you suspect something is wrong with the tank.

Hey! You said you were done a few posts ago! No more questions today!

Just kidding :)

Once your tank cycles, there's really no need to test ammonia and nitrites -- UNLESS you have an emergency happen, like deaths in the tank or other catastrophes (like kids dumping a whole bottle of food in your tank --personal experience ;) )....but really, I Only test for nitrates and ph occassionally, and others test for calc and alk of course.

LOL i know i did but i have so much to learn i figured a few more questions wont hurt :) haha plus it sucks my city doesnt have a fish store to ask questions and the only store close to me is 2 hours away and the people in the store dont have a clue what there talking about :( you guys are so helpful cant say thanks enough :)

We're here for you. Some of us in larger cities don't frequent our LFS because of many issues. The truth is you really don't need one.

Well, even if you had an LFS, I wouldn't necessarily go by just their advice ;) It's good to get backup advice from people who have nothing to gain by answering you (unless you're dcan, who just wants post counts :mrgreen:) My LFS, for example, has been completely awesome and gives great advice...but on occassion, due to the bottom line ($$$), they've steered me towards more expensive items ;) But I forgive them cuz they are awesome anyway. I just make sure to do research before I go there.

Keep asking away!

Lol, without any advice to start with it sounds like you're off to an awesome start. Starting slow with small amounts of live rock for a slow and easy cycle, 2 Koralia 3's for flow, T5 lighting, knowing you need a protein skimmer...it's like you don't need our advice at all! You're going to have a great tank.

hahaha yah , would you recommend a protein skimmer and if so when i dont have fish or when i get fish

I am cycling too at the moment...and my skimmer has been running for over a week and just today it is starting to make some major bubbles.

So the earlier you add it...the quicker it will start working.

Back