Cycling Tank

italipinos8

Reefing newb
Got my biocube 29 all set up with sand and saltwater. Waiting for it to clear up. Yesterday i ordered 20 pounds of base rock from reef bulk supply. I am planning on going to my lfs tomorrow to to get about 8 pounds of cured live rock.

Since the live rock is cured (and there is little of it) should i be expecting a cycle? Or should i just throw some prawns in there and let the ammonia rise?

Thanks, Ben

you might have a cycle, you might not, but you should put some prawns in there to make sure that you have some bacteria growth. Just be sure to test for ammonia, nitrates and nitrates and track their levels.

Also be sure your rock is sitting on the bottom of the tank, not sand. The sand will slowly dissolve over time (dont worry, this is suppose to happen) and critters can dig under the rocks causing a rock slide that could kill your livestock or worse, break the tank.

I have 7 lbs of cured live rock in tank now. The dry rock wont be here until Monday. I put a shrimp in there. I did notice all 3 of the rocks i have are covered in aiptasia:frustrat:..ive counted at least 8 so far... also something that looks like a clear aiptasia

What can i put in there to kill them all instead of killing one at a time?

Edit: Is the white tubes running threw the holes of live rock all aiptasia?

Last edited:
Anything that you put in there to kill all of them would kill everything else, which is something i dont think you want to do. And no, the while holes are more likely tube worms and not an issue

Back