cycling

Butch 36

Reefing newb
I started a 55 gal. saltwater tank about 4 months ago.It took about 3 months to complete cycling.I changed 20 % water every week during that time.My question is,I'm starting another 55 gal. tank,should i just leave it alone or should i do water changes.I read in another post that doing water changes prolongs the cycle.and is that why it took three months to cycle my other tank?

Last edited:
If you don't have anything fish or anything else in the tank then I would just leave the water alone and not do any water changes. Some people will add a cheep, hardy, small fish to the tank to cycle it. Some add something like a dinner shrimp and let it decompose in the tank to help the cycle along. Some add just pure ammonia to the water to get the cycle started. Everyone has a favorite method.

Mine would be to get the water and tank full and make sure your salinity ect. are all about where they should be, wait about a week and to add the LR. I then added the cleanup crew slowly starting with snails. My tank never did a typical cycle though the LR and all the bacteria that was on it already with the very slow addition of bioload, made it impossible to read anything on my tests for ammo, nitrite and nitrate. I hope this helps.

Oh I did not do a water change for 2 months after filling the tank.

Thanks for the info..This tank i'm starting with 50 lbs. of live rock..The last tank i put 70 lbs. after it cycled..then everything spiked again...I just got so much to learn about saltwater.But thats what this site if for, to read ,to read, and read alot more..This site is the best,and thank you all for the awsome information....

welcome to the forum good advice squibley2.The shrimp thang smells up your place though so your choice.Also read through the articles section there good info on cycling and other things there

Back