Dakwan's 180 Gallon Move/Rebuild

Yup the table thing slides in and out... i almost dropped the stand the first time i lifted it because i grabbed onto that handle before i realized it was there haha

Comparing the previous finish to the new one
DSCN2162.jpg

Everynight so far the wrasse stuffs himself in this little hole in the rock... looks kinda wierd cause it's just his pointy little mouth stickin' out
DSCN2161.jpg

Updates!

Copper: Hermits are still kickin' and i bought a new test kit and it comes up with 0 ppm! so i'm happy there.

Fish: Fishies are eatin' like pigs and my cleaner wrasse is stuffing mysis down his throat as fast as he can which i'm taking as a good sign

Stand: I'm all done refinishing and i'll snap a picture tomorrow after i buy and install new hinges

I also managed to break EVERY SINGLE ONE of the feet for my lighting fixture which i've epoxied back together and will sit the lights on them for a day or two on my carpet.. .just so if they fall it's not INTO the fish tank :D

bit of a slowdown while my bank account is filing for a divorce haha

Thought i'd see if you guys can figure out the rest this plumbing....haha

I got all the plumbing done expect im left with two pieces that look the same. You can see the piece in the picture, it's the bottom one.

Now the one of the top goes into the drain on the overflow and stands straight up and then another pipe press fits into the bottom of that.

Now i know the tube on the bottom goes in the overflow somehow .. but not sure of it's purpose... does it just sit overtop of the drain tube? what's the point of that?

The tube with the U at the end looks like a sort of Durso standpipe. It's meant to reduce the slurping and gurgling noises that the overflow makes if you use just a straight tube.

So i haven't been able to work on the tank much on account of the fact i'm working 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week right now.... thankfully should be done with that in a few more days... ugh.

I moved the fish over to the new tank despite the fact its not done yet since the tangs were getting pretty annoyed with each other in the small qt. I didn't have enough ready salt water to even come close to filling up the tank but i more than doubled the volume of the qt so i figured it was better than leaving them in there.

Move went all right and i was laughing at my one boss chromis who wasn't fazed about the move at all. Everyone but him was hiding wherever they could be he was cruising the tank, checking things out and catching a snack when he found something in the water column.

I'm going to be brewing mass amounts of salt water and getting ready to finish setting up. I need to replace some parts on the light fixture, get hinges for all the doors, and redo the plumbing and then i should be good to go!

DSCN2166.jpg

also in one of the many bins loaded with crap that i got i found a big brand new tub of caribsea "refugium mineral mud"

is this stuff actually worth using ?

Update:

Tank is fully plumbed and filled with another 50lbs of baserock and 90 lbs of sand

I'll be probably getting another couple 50lb boxes of base rock and then hand pick some neat pieces of live rock to make the aquascaping a little more attractive

I rinsed the sand for like 2 hours altogether and still the tank was so cloudy i couldn't see anything.. i was worried about it bothering the fish but they have been fine for about 24 hours and i've read other threads with people asking if it matters and the consensus was no worries.

Aside from the broken glass on my light fixture i've also found that one of the pc ballasts are blown. I've cracked it open and there is a power transistor i think may be the problem but i'll probably just replace the whole ballast rather than unsolder the entire board and test components. Also comparing the old bulbs to the new one i just bought, they clearly all need to be replaced.. which means that the Mh bulbs could probably use replacing as well

I'm stoked to have everything almost set up!... One problem i'm having with the plumbing though is on one overflow it will slowly fill up to a certain point and then quickly gurgle and flood back down again... I'm not too sure why it's happening. It only fills and then drains at about a couple inch difference but when it drains fast its LOUD. And the return pump already hums like a helicopter so i don't need anything louder haha

DSCN2168.jpg

DSCN2169.jpg

The flow through the durso standpipes is too fast.That is why you are getting the burping and gurgling.Each overflow is rated at around 600gph by the manufacturer but realistically can only do 400-450gph without gurgling.

Back