Dakwan's 180 Gallon Move/Rebuild

Here is a full tank shot.

DSCN2170.jpg

Tank is still super cloudy despite my sand rinsing efforts and to my relief all fish are accounted for.

I'm getting a new piece of uv glass cut for the piece i broke and this week sometime i'll get a new ballast and then i can actually put the light fixture on. In the mean time i'm going to actually not have open power bars haphazardly laying around :P. Although i did pull out the old receptacle near the tank and install one with a ground fault interrupter.

Got the skimmer set up and it is skimmin'.

Also found a leak in my return pump so i stuck a piece of cardboard underneath it for the time being but it looks like the salt already sealed up the leak.. woohoo :P. So i guess i'll need to keep an eye on it. I may replace it anyways because it is NOISY. I was considering muffling it but it already runs pretty hot ... hopefully having doors on the stand will muffle it a bit.

I've also come to the conclusion that my blue regal is a giant coward... my naso swims about all happy but the blue hides under his rock 95% of the time and nips at anyone that comes near. what a jerk.

So here is the current progress:

Just need to wait for my darn hinges to come in! and apparently buy replacement MH bulbs as one is burnt out and the other are putting out some pretty weak light.

I also have to give a big hand to coralife! As i mentioned before i broke a pane of the UV glass and sent them an email.. i didn't get a reply for like 2 or 3 weeks but when i did, which happened to be on the EXACT same day i took a sample in to a glass shop to get a new piece cut, they said they would send me a replacement free of charge!

I thought that i would get it in like months if at all so i didn't cancel my glass order ( was only 10 dollars anyways) but today when i went to pick up my new piece of glass.. sitting at home was the replacement piece!

So i'm very very impressed with them and thought i'd share that their customer service is excellent even if tardy to begin with.

I also bought 10 cerith snails and 5 nass and 5 little hermit crabs.
I of course never see the nass or hermit crabs for the most part but the cerith hang out near the rim of the tank so i can see em which is neat.

Here's the obligatory full tank shot, it's a little cloudy because i was using some sponges in my sump to help clear the water when i put the sand in.. so when i removed them today they just made the water cloudy again haha..
DSCN2173.jpg

Everything looks awesome (even with the cloudiness :))!
I tell you what, though... I don't envy you guys that move these things. Not at all. It seems like a massive pain.

Oh god you are not kidding.

you NEED four people to move the thing. I moved it into the house with 3 of us and we tore a huge rip in the lino in the kitchen and broke 2 light fixtures. Would have been cheaper to hire professional movers rather than redo my kitchen floor :P

Finally took some photo's of the fish! forgive my poor camera and photography skills

The blue hippo was out and not freaked out of me for the first time ever so i took the opportunity... also the first time he's ever displayed his dorsal fin too that i've seen and he is looking pretty fantastic.

my cleaner wrasse eats like a piggie but i'm still nervous just because of the repuation.. it's hard to tell from the picture but if you look here http://www.debraturner.com/Media/fish/clnrwrasse.jpg
i'd say he looks a little bit fatter than the wrasse in that picture... should i feel confident he is getting enough nutrition?

my little chromis shoal are boss like always.. kind of boring looking fish (unless they are flashing colours) but very attractive when they shoal around together

Naso tang is looking good and I was trying to get a picture of him displaying but no such luck as he was in a pretty chill mood.

Also anyone have any luck cleaning the outside of the tank? i use a vinegar and water mix and it leaves it pretty streaky.. any tips?

Water parameters are looking good
Amm:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrates: 30 (zero algae in the tank so i'm going to try and find some cheato and i'm going to start upping my water changes) Ph: 8.2ish

Also i gotta say the AFI test kits blow, very hard to read the numbers

DSCN2184.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2187.jpg

I

I started using straight vinegar...I was having the same problem with the streaking. I just spray the vinegar into the cloth rather than onto the glass.

woop woop , finally got the dang hinges so could put the doors back on!

I'm really diggin' the nass snails i got. I expected the hermits to be much more fun to watch.. but it's cool to see the little feeler stickin' out of the sand and then they zoom up out of the sand like zombies 10 seconds after feeding the tank.

This weekend it's buy a new return pump because the one i got has a slow leak and looks like a giant ball of salt creep and also sounds like a helicopter stuck in a wind tunnel. I'm also pretty low on the amount of rock in the tank but all the base rock around here at the LFS is super ugly (as you can see in my tank.. just big blocks of lime stone pretty much). So i'm either going to buy some live rock and cycle it or maybe order a box of dry rock from marco rocks

DSCN2194.jpg

That base rock you've got in there right now will come in handy though...since it's so flat it's going to be easy for you to build with....I think you're gonna need 1 or 2 more powerheads too.. tank looks great. can't wait to see that thing loaded up.

sweet tank......everything is looking good. I cant wait til im able to upgrade from my 120 gal to a 180 gal. Thats my dream tank. Oh by the way great thread.

Back