Dane's 125 Gallon Marine Setup

Re: Dane's 100 Gallon Marine Setup

A sump was the best thing i ever did for my tank. If you set up a sump, the choices of skimmers increases by ten fold. If you decide to stay with the HOB skimmer, Octopus makes a really good one that is pretty resonable. Tanks looks great BTW. Its nice to meet a newbie who is listening.

that is a major plus when people listen to what somebody has to say. it makes a new person have such an easier time in the hobby usually and not shuch a big headach in the long run. many people here have years of expereince and are willing to share what did and did not work for them.

that is a major plus when people listen to what somebody has to say. it makes a new person have such an easier time in the hobby usually and not shuch a big headach in the long run. many people here have years of expereince and are willing to share what did and did not work for them.

It seems that the excitement comes when livestock is involved. If people would research information first, ask questions and go slowly, then things would be much better. It's always nice when someone seeks out advice before proceeding!

Dane your tank is going to be super!:Cheers:

Thanks Team "Living Reef"!

Words of encouragement and all the advice I can pry out of you guys is most definitely appreciated. I assure you, I have, Am, and will continue to listen to all of your advice, because i only want to do this once.

Thanks again!

Trust us If you see something you just have to have. Let us know first. Someone here has probably killed, i mean kept it in there tank.

You should have a check valve (one way) on your return plumbing, and siphon holes drilled where the water exits into your tank. This will prevent a back siphon from happening if the power goes off (which otherwise would drain your tank and flood your sump).

You should also have ball valves on your return line/s to control the flow so you don't overflow the main tank.

Thanks Team "Living Reef"!

Words of encouragement and all the advice I can pry out of you guys is most definitely appreciated. I assure you, I have, Am, and will continue to listen to all of your advice, because i only want to do this once.

Thanks again!

Its fun doing this over and over. How do youthink we all learned.

You should have a check valve (one way) on your return plumbing, and siphon holes drilled where the water exits into your tank. This will prevent a back siphon from happening if the power goes off (which otherwise would drain your tank and flood your sump).

You should also have ball valves on your return line/s to control the flow so you don't overflow the main tank.

Ok, So my Line running FROM my tank TO the Sump should be Gravity Feed only (I will be doing all of this HOB, No drilled tanks)? Do I need a Ball Valve there too? Obviously I understand I would only insert enough of the line into the water to achieve a decent siphon, that way it wont overflow my sump should the power fail.

And on the Return line, I will come OFF of the pump BACK UP to my tank and install a check Valve (Back-flow preventer) and another Ball valve.

As I understand it, the purpose of this Ball Valve on the return will be to slow the water return rate enough to match the Siphon line's flow INTO the sump keeping everything flowing equally, correct?

Will restricting the pumps flow with a ball valve put undo stress on the pump and harm it in any way? Lets say My pump is rated @ 1000GPH, and I have to have the Ball valve half way closed, restrictively forcing the flow rate to 500GPH to balance things out... Is this ok?

Last edited:

Am I completely off here? Do I need something HOB of tank to pump the water out of the DT into the Sump? I know this is usually done through a bulkhead in the bottom of the DT by gravity, but I am NOT dismantling the tank to drill the bottom...

Ok guys, PLEASE do not laugh at my crude drawing. I DID however, at least spare you my awful handwriting and pull it into Snagit and label this for you guys.

THis is my weekend project, so if you guys see ANYTHING I should know, PLEASE speak up before I wreck my tank!

tankdiagram.jpg

Usually the skimmer goes in the first chamber, the middle is the fuge and the third is the return. Also, you will need an overflow box.

Roger, Thanks. Skimmer in Section one, Refugium / Bio filter in section 2....

Now... What is an Overflow Box? Does this have to do with the fact that i dont have a drilled tank and have to have some overflow protection for the line running TO the sump?

Also, where is a good place to get Lexan / Acrylic / Plexi glass (and which one is better)?

An overflow box make your tank reef ready. They work okay but can loose siphon sometimes. Make sure you get an aqualifter pump with it. I have no idea where to get acrylic.

Ok, Quick search solved the mystery. I ustnderstand the overflow box now. Thanks for mentioning it because i was stressing over how i was going to accomplish this feat with no drilled tank.

With a 20 Gallon sump, and a 100 Gallon DT, what flow rate (in and out) should I be looking to achieve??

I always OVER do it with everything. I tend to Buy Big always. How about this combination for Overflow box:

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Is this even a good one? I would assume go with the 1800 and then match it up with a pump of equal GPM rating?

Im so sorry about all the questions guys (and gals) I appreciate yalls patience with me.

Dane

I'd recommend an overflow box with the U-style siphon tube.I ran one for close to a year and it never once lost siphon.That way,if the power goes out when your not home,you dont have to worry about weather or not the overflow will pick back up.

For the plexi-glass,Home Depot,Lowes,and Ace Hardware all carry it,and will cut it for you.

You'll need this on the drain side.
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

This would do good on the return line.
Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube

YOTE! Thanks!
I actually saw this same U-Tube at the LFS today and decided i wanted to try and find one. Problem SOLVED!

Lifter pumps.... If i go with the Eshopps Overflow (1800), will the Lifter pump fit inside it? If so, what do you guys suggest?

(Again, I would rather do it once, and do it right)

I'm not 100% sure on those with the lifter pumps,since I hadnt messed with those.
I know a lot of people like em and use em.

I'd recommend an overflow box with the U-style siphon tube.I ran one for close to a year and it never once lost siphon.That way,if the power goes out when your not home,you dont have to worry about weather or not the overflow will pick back up.

For the plexi-glass,Home Depot,Lowes,and Ace Hardware all carry it,and will cut it for you.

Thanks Partner! I guess I can try the Eshopps 1800 without the lifter first... then if it doesnt seem to do the trick, i can always add one later.

You guys (and gals) ROCK!!!!

Im getting excited again! Im going to head to Lowes / Depot tomorrow at lunch and grab my Acrylic / tank sealer, etc.

Then i guess All I need to do is figure out my plumbing. Yall reccomend Flex hose, or Rigid PVC?!!?

Id go with the Mag 9.5 with a ball valve on the return. I use that on my 110 and it works great. I had to use the aqua lifter when i had the CPR overflow box.

Back