De*nitates

amonya

Reefing newb
About Seven Days Ago I Decided To Try Another Way Of Lowering The Nitrates Slowly In My Tank BESIDES JUST DOING WATER CHANGES AND USEING ONLY RO WATER WEEKLY .Seems To Be Workin Great Has Slowly Gone Down About 3- 5ppm Since Ive Put In .Have Been Checking Water A Little More Then Usual Latley Since The Death Of My Blenny (rip) That I Starved Stupid Mistake On My Part . Before I Start To Write To Much Has Anyone Used This Product And What Was Your Experince With It.ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WEATHER THIS IS A GOOD OR BAD WAY TO LOWER NITRATES GRADUALLY? ??????CURMIN?????? :Buds:

Last edited:
A refuge planted with macro algea, also one of our members did a DYI on a de-nirate chamber, not sure if it worked for him or not.

SEEMS TO WORK ,NITRATES HAVE BEEN AT 0PPM FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS AND NO FLUCTUATIONS I RECOMMEND GREAT PRODUCT :bounce: :bounce:

Glad to hear you resolved your problem with nitrates. please post specifics for those that are not familiar with this product. your dose, strength, and all maitenance performed while using the product. add anything else that might be helpful for others. post post procedures/ ongoing use of the product. thanks in advance.

Yes... please!!! I would like to know more on your success of your de-nitrate product. Would you please describe the whole process step by step? Thanks in advance.

TODAY I WILL GET ALL THE INFO I CAN AND POST TOMORROW SO I CAN GO OVER AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CORRECT. :boldblue:

Yes chris the Coil Dentirfication unit i build for around 30 dollars did work.

However I did a poor job with the PVC glue so after letting the slow leak continue for 7 weeks so that i could prove or disprove the theory i did take it down......

But after the 7 week cycle water going into the unit had about 10ppm Nitrates and coming out was undetectable.

bv

DE*NITRATE-NITRATE REMOVAL BY SEACHEM( DIRECTIONS) FOR BEST RESULTS DE*NITRATE SHOULD BE PLACED TO ASSURE THE FLOW OF WATER THROUGH IT , SUCH AS IN A CANISTER FILTER, CHEMICAL FILTRATION MODULE,OR BOX FILTER. FLOW RATE SHOULD NOT EXCEED 200L (50 GALLONS) PER HOUR. IF RATE ARE UNAVOIDABLE,USE MATRIX,.IT IS BEST TO RINSE OFF DUST BEFORE USE,ONCE DE*NITRATES HAS BEEN IN USE FOR SEVERAL DAYS, NITRATE CONCENTRATIONS SHOULD START TO FALL AND LEVEL OFF GRADUALLY AT A CONCENTRATION OF ABOUT 4-5 MG/L AS NITRATE. AS LONG AS NITRATE CONCENTRATIONS REMAIN UNDER CONTROL, THE PRODUCT IS NOT EXUASTED. EACH 1 L OF DE*N TREATS ABOUT 200-400L (50-100)GALLONS DEPENDING ON INITAIL NITRATE CONCENTRATION AND THE CURRENT BIO LOAD. ENOUGH SHOULD BE USED TO REMOVE NITRATE AT A RATE AT LEAST AS FAST AS THE RATE OF FORMATION(TAKE IT SLOW AT FIRST JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE).IF VERY HIGH NITRATES ARE INITIALLY PRESENT , THEY SHOULD BE BROUGHT DOWN TO LESS THAN 20MG/L WITH WATER CHANGES. ITS VERY INPORTANT NOT TO JUST USE TAP WATER BECAUSE OF THE HIGH SEDIMENTS AND OR AMMONIA PRESENT AND TO WEEKLY OR BYE WEEK WATER CHANGES TO LOWER .WHAT I DID WAS FOLLOWED DIRECTS PUT DE* IN CANISTER FILTER TURNED TO LOWEST VOLUME ALSO RINSED YOU MITE WANT TO BUY SOME OF THE LITTLE NET BAGS TO ASSURE NONE FLYING AROUND IN THE AQUARIUM AND REPLACE AS YOU WOULD YOUR CHARE ONCE A MONTH .(REPEAT) SLOWLY DO THIS PROCESS ADD A SMALL AMOUNT INTO BAG WOULD SAY IN MY 30 GALLON I HAD A 8IN BAG (HIGHT)4IN (WIDTH)EST ABOUT 25% OF WAS FILLED HOPEFULLY THIS CAN HELP . :toothy12: O YEA THE PRICE IS 19.99 FOR THE BOTTLE THAT TREATS 100 GALLONS.WORKED GREAT FOR ME CURRENT LEVELS ARE 0PPM IN MY TANK

still no nitrates ,so this stuff really works,now i have about a half of a cup of this stuff in aqurium still no changes,(what nitrates)lol :^: :bounce: :helm2:

I have been thinking about using de*Nitrate as a media in a coil denitrator. Most plans suggest mini-bio balls or sulpher media which I understand is rough on the ph. According to the label there is no danger from continued use and in a denitrator I thought it might make great media that would kick start the denitrator and revert to a home for anerobic bacteria after it was exhausted. Any thoughts concerns?

BTW, "Aquarium" in knoxville has a pretty good price on it in three sizes.

Timothy

A denitrator is designed to create a environment that is favorable for the type of bacteria that consume nitrates. I would not recommend adding anything into the denitrator that the manufacturer does not recommend. the de-nitrate media might just create difficulty for the proper bacteria and other problems may develope as well (hydrogen sulfide). just my thoughts. good luck.

Not Sure If Thats The Best Idea If I Were You I Would Do What Manufacture Suggest,most Of The Time Its Easyer And You Dont Have To Worry About If It Was A Mistake Or Not But If You Have More Then 10 Ppm This Stuff Could Aid Untill Denitrator Is Working In Full Strangth But Use Very Small Amount(not Inside Denitator) First So Not To Through Anything Of In Aquruim(balance)just A Suggestion Hope This Helps

Well a denitrator calls for biomedia and the de*nitrate says it can be used as bio media. De*Nitrate is basically rocks that absorb nitrates or react with it to break it down.

But I will say this, since it's a DIY denitrator the manufacturer would be me so I'm not so sure I'd trust the manufacturer in this case. Becuase the manufacturer says, shoot give it a shot and monitor it closely.

Good luck with your project. please keep specific, complete, notes on your project and share with us the results. thanks for the thread. and yes you being the manufacturer can of course make the call. best of luck.

Back