Dead Live Rock

BuddaTurk

Turk of Budda
The girl I bought my 120G tank from gave me some old, dead live rock. It has stuff I want to wash out of it...can I just wash it out with a water hose and let it dry out?

I will be using this in the 120 and allowing the 80 lbs of live rock from TBSW to seed it.

Thanks,
BT

Yea, you can wash it out with tap water if its dead, there isn't anything on it thats going to be affected by the tap water. It should start to grow coralline after a couple months, but don't expect it to grow as quickly as rock that wasn't totally dead.

Correct me if im wrong, But you can clean it with 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. That is what i use for my tank glass, but i dont know if the rocks will soak it up or not?

It will start to dissolve the rock a little(which isnt necessarily a bad thing) think its called cooking the rock. If the rock was slightly contaminated it will remove it unless by chance it was treated with copper which will leach regardless

The vinegar is a mild acid the rock is calcium carbonate. The fizzing you hear when you put vinegar on live rock or coraline algae is the calcium carbonate dissolving. Thats why everyone recommends cleaning used tanks with vinegar is because of the disolution that happens.

There really is no need to use vinegar on it, as McCrary said, if it's dry it's dead and there's nothing for the vinegar to clean off. Water should be sufficient.

:bounce: Cleaning base rock, or old dead live rock as if it has been contaminated is a good thing. You will only loose a little of the surface of the rock, not substantial amounts. Some people even check all live rocks they receive from other people for copper as lots of people do threat with copper in their main tanks. Not recommended but hey do it anyway. The treatment with vinegar or hydrochloric acid in water will remove the surface layer of the rock which has absorbed the copper. The acid in water will also etch the rock well enough to remove filth that will just not rinse or soak off. It is a worth while project and takes not that much time or expense. See Johns (jhnrb) write up in the articles section https://www.livingreefs.com/articles/removing-copper-from-rock-t387.php :^:

Back