Dead Sea Hare =Nitrate Spike = Crash...maybe

kmckienz

Reefing newb
So, about a month ago a stupid rock anemone popped up out of one of my live rocks. Well, it was the middle of the week so I decided I would get it on the weekend. Anyway.. at that point my parameters were excellent (0 nitrates, 0 ammonia/nitrites, PH Ca etc all at good levels). So, forward to Saturday when I realize I have not seen Shrek (my sea hare) for a couple of days (coincidence..I think not). So next I test my nitrates and sure enough they are off the charts. I figure he got stung, and is dead decaying in a rock somewhere.

Since that point I have not been able to get my nitrates back down. Even with water changes. I noticed some of the hermit crabs toting around in what were snail shells, so then I figure now I have snail decay too. I continue water changing as I can, but the nitrates stay off the chart and the hair algae has had a field day. Last night I went to the LFS to get some mexican turbo's and more hermits to help with the clean up.

At this point I was very concerned for my Seahorses but they were doing ok thus far. Well, my worst fear happened last night. I came home and found George with POP eye and unable to snick properly and unable to eat. Everything I read suggests bacterial infection (undoubtedly caused by the nitrate spike). I don't have a quarantine tank anymore in which I can treat him, because up until this my tank was doing so well that my corals were growing and fragging so I ended up having to put them in what was the quarantine tank. That aside, I have not seen any positive outcomes for his condition even with treatment. Anyway, I left the lights off today and I don't know what I will find when I get home. Either way, I have got to find a way to get the nitrates down because Jane, his girlfriend, is still healthy and I want to keep her that way.

Any suggestions other than water changes to get the nitrates down. Too much water changing stresses seahorses out. I expect that George is a lost cause but I don't want to lose my other horse or fish.

Suggestions anyone? I know other than the dead hare I had some problems with my timer malfunctining and the lights staying on for 16 hours. Obviously that did not help but I have resolved that issue. I still need ither suggestions though.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Its time to go digging.You need to try to ind the carcuss.Its polluting you water.
About all I can say for the nitrates is to keep doing the water changes,and run some carbon.

I have looked and looked for the body. I can not find it anywhere. How long does it take for a sea hare to decay completely? It has been almost a month.

Its probably already been taken care of by the bristle worms.But the nitrates will stay untill you take them out with water changes.

Kathy I guess that a series of small water changes is better than one big one. Try doing 3 10% changes in a row instead of a 30%.

Sorry to hear about what's happened. I had the same thing happen in my tank with a sea cucumber that died in the sand. I also couldn't find the body, but it spiked my nitrates to 100+.

Water changes and running carbon or chemipure are really your only options.

Back