dead snail/feeding question

cirrus

Fish > Homework
Hi everybody,

One of the turbos I bought last weekend has been sitting immobile on the sand for the past few days. I thought for a while he might still be alive, but after so much time and no movement, I'm pretty sure he's dead. I picked him up and he looked 'sealed up' inside the opening, but I'm not optimistic. Should I just toss him out?

Also, our new goby spends most of his time hiding, and I'm getting a little worried that I haven't seen him eat. Could it be that I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks

Does the turbo stink? I've heard that snails smell really bad when they die. If he smells...well I guess like the ocean...I would say he is probably still alive.

yea ive had turbos slow to a stop for a few days at a time.... if hes sealed he probably isnt dead and especially if he doesnt smell rancid. rdahlke is totally right about the stench

Well, the snail is definitely dead. I pulled him out yesterday and the smell was definitely rancid. Bummer :( We did, however, add a beautiful cowrie who seems to be doing really well. He perked up after just one day and seems really content.

The goby is a zebra bar goby, and I've tried pellets, frozen, and some kind of gel packets to coax him out, but he just seems to be exceedingly shy. We'll catch a glimpse of him, but the second we approach the tank he darts back into his hole. Are they generally more sensitive than other fish?

Well, all fish take a different amount of time to adjust to their new surroundings. I would maybe spend some time quietly sitting by your tank so he can start to adjust to your presence. Then try and feed him.

Also, he was eating when you got him at the store right?

Also, what kind of cowrie did you get. Some species are cold water species and dont do well in our tanks.

I have no idea what species the cowrie is, unfortunately. I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find photos for all the species...and there are so many! It looks similar to Cypraea arabicula though in terms of the pattern of its shell.

I'm not sure what they feed at the store, I'm going to go back today, so I'll ask then. Maybe live food?

I highly doubt they would have fed it. As a juvi it should eat algae, but as adults they sometimes eat sponges, some corals and few species will even eat nems.

Back