debate about water changes

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
The wife and I are having a debate on the amount and frequency of water changes on our reef tank.:frustrat: She feels that a 10% water change once a week is good :grumble: I think it should be more and more often. Everything in our reef tank is doing well our water stays within all of the proper parameters to keep it stable. Can someone please help end this debate on the amount and frequency of water changes that need to be done on our tank:sfish:

Dustin do u think a 20% is too much for a 90 gal tank a week or is the wife good at a 10%water change a week

I was doing 10% once a week.Its now been close to 2 weeks since I did a water change,but according my tests,everything is fine.
A lot of it depends on the tank.I'd try doing the 10% and see how it goes.You can always bump back up to 20% if you need too.

its not too much, but its most likely not needed unless you need to maintain a very low nutrient system for like an SPS dominate tank

Im lazy too. I have a large skimmer and I run ozone. Ive heard of guys doing water changes every 6 months and having tanks that thrive.

10% per week to me is the minimum but i recommend 15-20% weekly. Or even better 10% x 2 per week. Unless you have no algae issues at all then 10% is just fine.

+1 to both because it really depends on the situation.

Im lazy too. I have a large skimmer and I run ozone. Ive heard of guys doing water changes every 6 months and having tanks that thrive.

i have a good friend who NEVER (literally) does water changes... and he turns his skimmers off because he believes it cleans the water too much.

I'll post tank pics.... but right now i'm on a MAC... and it makes me hate my life.... UGH

I guarantee you I am the laziest reefer on the site. I probably haven't done a water change in 8 or 9 months AT LEAST. And testing my parameters? WHO KNOWS! It's been about a year since I did that! But, I have a huge skimmer. I have a 55 gallon sump and a 35 gallon remote fuge/DSB filled with macroalgae and 10 inches of sand. And I don't have a spot of algae.

If my half dozen shrimp and two clams and four giant starfish and softball sized turbo snail are still alive, I think whatever shape my water is in, it can't be that bad!

PS -- I do not condone nor do I recommend my lazy reefing practices. What works for my tank will probably not work for yours. Be safe -- do water changes.

I personally do a 10% change every week...If your parameters are good, then 10% is fine...if you are fighting high nitrates/algae, then a 20% is recommended.

I do 12g WC weekly on my 75. I battle nitrates cuz I overfeed (trying to quit). Setting up a fuge this week to help but I'll still do 12g changes because it's easy and the water and critters are doing very well.

I think it is really dependent upon size and maturity of the tank. A new tank needs more water changes more frequently. A smaller tank needs them more frequently as well.

As a system matures, the water changes happen for different reasons. Replenishing trace elements would be one.

This sound about right or am I off here?

I think it is really dependent upon size and maturity of the tank. A new tank needs more water changes more frequently. A smaller tank needs them more frequently as well.

As a system matures, the water changes happen for different reasons. Replenishing trace elements would be one.

This sound about right or am I off here?

Thats the way I see it.

I'll be honest, none on either of my tanks since January. Now I lose alot of water to evaporation, about 3+ gallons a day on the 180. However, I am planning on a change upwards of 25% on each tank this weekend. In addition to alk and calcium, I dose Mag as well. I run a decent skimmer and an ATS and my tank is sweet looking

Back