Decorating the tank

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I live in the Tampa Bay area and put rock from TBS in my tank because they are local and it was highly recommended but I also bought sand from them which is basically crushed shell and coral and is full of color and is getting more colorful all the time.

Today I went out on a boat with my family and friends and we went out to Caladessi(sp) island which is attached to Clearwater. We we almost alone where we were. I took a walk collecting only the perfect shells from the typical shape to ones my hermits can use.

I found a lot of awesome white and brown and white and orangish shells and even some dark gray ones and I found the biggest shell I have ever seen like 6 inches across. I got a few hermit shells that were 4 inches long but they had part missing and looked fossilized but they make awesome decor and so do all of them.

They are nicer than I could have expected and reall make the tank look like you would expect under water. I positioned them nicely and tried to just toss some in to look.random and get a few upside down. I realized too many looks fake and too little looks well.... not visible.

I figured they will all.eventually get coraline algea growing on them but for now they are beautiful. Anyone who doesn't live in an area like here or anywhere near shells so easily pi led up you would love it.

Just wanted to share my adventure and give anyone a new idea.

Oh yeah I know that for sure. I can snap them tomorrow. Ha I am in bed watching a movie with my wife and daughter. She's 2 and always helps me fill my tank each night.

By the way I rinsed the shells in hot water than RO/DI after that.

I was thinking of starting a collection and selling it but I doubt there would be a big market to make it worth it.

I can get a lot of perfect shells of all sizes and shapes.

My husband bought shells as his snails needed to move into new homes. Perhaps there are others like him that do buy shells?

The ones he bought are ok looking. The got prettier with growth on them (taking on the color of the rocks). I bet if he had saw your's he would have been tempted to buy, even if he had enough already. :)

Look forward to seeing them tomorrow.

Yeah the couple I found for the hermits ate white and golden brownish and really pretty the big ones are awesome also but they aren't complete but you can't tell from the way I positioned them.

If I just went out and grabbed a ton and went through them I could probably get a lot but if I grab them one at a time they may not get broken.

Also all the junk can be crushed for the bottom of tanks.

It just dawned on me he bought the shells for his red scarlet crabs.

If you want some extra ordinary shells to crush or just to show off your pretty ones... I have a box of extra boring ones. :)

Now I can take pics to my new bulbs arrive. I will just start a new thread with the pix.

I am sure all of you are just dying to see them hahaha

Back