detaching xinia

beano

habitual reefer
How can i detach xinia from rock? i want to frag some to trade and the rock it grows on is large and part of the display so removing it is not really an option. i would like to remoce like half the colony, maybe 3 square inches, and try to get it to stick to a smaller rock to trade.

i was think use a razor to slice the colony in half, then try to peel it off the rock. will that work? i feel like xinia is too gummy.

thanks

Use a razor blade. You can cut it off instead of peeling it off. The part that is left on the rock will regrow, and the part that you cut off will attach wherever you stick it.

ah, thanks biff.

anyway to get the part left on the rock to go away? i would like to keep the colony from spreading all over.

i knew xenia would do this. i am prepared to do whats necessary to keep it under control but i dont know how short of removing the rock its on. which i mentioned is not something i really want to do.

Constant pruning:mrgreen:

Maybe try nuking it with some apstasia X every once in a while? Never done this, or heard of it done, but maybe try it on a piece that you fragged to see how the xenia reacts? I take no responsibility for anything that happens though.

take the rock out even and scrub the bita off the rock you don't want in a bucket of saltwater or then rinse under freshwater and give it another quick scrub and replace.

Get some thin air tubing and rigid air tubing and start a siphon while poking and scraping at the xenia stump left on the rock until its all sucked up thru the tube and in a 5 gal pail.. That worked for me several times

Back