Diatom Algae???

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Hey all, this stuff is really ugly to me and im constantly siphoning it out like every other day. The best i can describe it as is like a slimy crust on my sand surface that siphons out easily and seperates from the sand easily as well. Is there a way to get rid of this? Am i wasting my time siphoning it out?

IMG_20111228_160657.jpg

IMG_20111228_160651.jpg

+1 Erin !! That build up on your rocks definitely looks like cyano to me! Also, how old are your bulbs & how often do you feed your tank?

Im still messing with my flow its more aimed at the surface then the sand. Due to my aquascape its diffcult for me to get it everywhere i need it. Guess i need to buy another power head. I have 3 cave like areas to get in plus get flow to my corals and ripple the surface. ugh.
Chuck- My bulbs are brand new maybe 2 weeks old. I feed my tank once a day. And i make sure its only what they eat if any hits the sand i siphon out what the CuC doesnt get. Also i do weekly 20% water changes. Is this stuff harmful to my fish or corals? Like i said i siphon it out every other day or so. The pics i took today was at its worst.

Last edited:
IME it didnt harm my fish, BUT it can choke out smaller polyped corals. The "Three days of darknest" method did'nt work for me, I had new bulbs also. In the end, I increased the flow in my tank & dosed it with "Freshwater Maracyn" which is an antibiotic. It was very effective b/c cyano is more of a bacteria than an algae. All the thick red clumps on my LR turned green then white & died all in 6 days. I used 2 pouches in my old 150 gallon. I would also cut back on the feeding alil bit also.Good Luck!!

I'd prefer not to use any antibiotic. I think Erin is correct here with flow. The pictures above are of the back of my tank where not alot goes on especially flow and thats where the majority of it is. Think its time for another less powerful power head. I have a 425 atm. Finding the sweet spots for the flow is gonna be the hard part.

I understand your fear & every tank is different. Im not a big fan of dosing either, but after a 3 month battle with that stuff...I was @ wits end with that ugly cyano algae. Good luck with whatever route u choose.

thanks Chuck, id understand doing it after months as well. Thanks for the info. Now that i know what it is it will be easier to take care of.

You want to keep on top of it. It will always come back untill you figure out what is feeding it. How are your nitrates and phosphates? Overfeeding is the #1 culprit to excess nutrients. It took me 6 weeks to get rid of it. I would cut back on food and keep up on the manual removal and if there is nitrate or phos issues down the road still, maybe look into GFO or phosban.

Salty- my phosphates are zero since i have gotten my new test kit about 2 weeks ago. I check once a week, My nitrates were high awhile ago but i have got them down to about 10ppm and staying there for about a week now. It may be overfeeding im a sucker for feeding my fish. I know they are opportunistic (that a word?) feeders and will eat whenever they can but again in my research there are so many different opininons. Some say twice a day, others once where some say once every other day is fine. Is it true also that frozen foods dont add as much if at all any nitrates to the water? I read that somewhere. I feed Prime Reef flakes once a day, and mysis and cyclops shrimp once in awhile to my fish. Cyclops and mysis to my corals with phytoplankton i believe it is called, mixed in every third day or so. I siphon out my tank every day, wether its waste or algae on my sand. Lately the cyano seems worse. Could keeping my lights on too long be a factor as well. I tend to turn them on before i go to work around 6am and sometimes leave them on over 12 hrs. If so i need to get a timer for my lights.

It is possible to get false readings from test kits. If the cyano is consuming the nutrients as fast as it is being produced then the kit will read zero...see what I'm sayin'. And the cyano will continue to flourish. Any kinds of foods you're putting in there (fresh,flakes or frozen) that aren't consumed will break down into undesired nutrients. And a timer wouldn't be a bad idea.

I see what your sayin salty. Ill reduce my feeding, keep up with my 20% weekly water change and keep the lights on less. See if that kicks this in the ass. If not ill try something else. Trial and error, right?

That and more flow down there (if possible) and regular siphoning is the best way to attack this for now. Could be a week or could be several before you see good results so be patient!

Ya my LFS owner told me its a weird algae, one day you could wake up and its all gone. He basically told me the same things as you guys, flow, lighting and over feeding. Thanks for the input. Ill let you know how it goes!

Also i have again read so many mixed reviews on this subject, want some pros opinions. Is it ok to leave Blue LED's on all night?Harmful at all to anything?

Back