Diatom Bloom/Fish two part question?

Will S

Reefing newb
Another new beginer question this time about diatom bloom and how long I should expect it to take and do I need to do anything for it?
I bought rock, sand and water that had already been cycling. I let it cycle myself for another two weeks prior to adding anything to the tank. My rock went to a bronze looking color, I'm thinking its diatom bloom, I wanted to try and post some pictures hopefully I can either latrer tonight or tomorrow.
At this point last night I put in two small damsels, cleaner shrimp and a urchin. Reason being I ordered a blue spotted jaw fish and I want to keep him seperate for a couple weeks to make sure he/she is healthy before putting into the 90G. This will give me 3 total fish and my wife is wanting a medium size fish, maybe in the tang family? With what I've mentioned having so far what would your suggestions be on the next fish to put into the tank. Currently 1- sm. 1.5-2.0 clown, .75-1.0 blue damsel and a blue spotted jaw fish being introduced next which looks to be about 3.0-3.5 inches.
Again, thanks in advance to everyones replies, you have no idea how thankful us begginers are of your advice and guidence! As, many of you know the pet stores don't always have your best interest in mind:frustrat:

Yep, what you're experiencing is diatoms, they'll go away on their own, and is a normal process with new tanks. I'd wait 2-3 weeks before adding another fish to your tank also. Also, if you're using tap water, the diatoms will stick around a lil longer due to the excess nutrients in the water.

Thanks, Smitty I've only used R/O water at this point as I've been told this will be best until I can start making my own water once the proper equipment is purchased. I don't plan on adding anything else until the jaw fish has proven to be healthy.
Would you suggest any additional phosphates for the rock and the corals and sponges that came on them. I've currently adding nothing besides water.

To clarify, your cycle had ended before you put the fish in the tank correct? I'd keep an eye on the blue spotted jawfish, they're known to be jumpy when added to a new tank.

I assume the 90 is a standard footprint, so its 4ft long. Your selection of tangs for a tank that size is pretty limited - basically the bristle tooth tangs (the Yellow Eyed Kole being the most popular here)

Back