diatoms

johno1973

Reefing newb
Que stage one pest growth. Rust colored diatoms are now forming in my tank. On the rocks and sand. Ordered some snails today. From the overnight growth rate I should have enough to feed them for quite some time, or at least until the next scheduled algae outbreak.

I don't think there are many snails that eat diatoms, but they're good to have on hand for the next algae cycle, the dreaded green hair algae!

What is a good way to keep them under control then? I know from reading on here that some site descriptions are less than accurate. They did say that some of the snails will eat diatoms. I ordered ceriths, nassarius, and nerite snails as the first additions of my cuc. If they don't eat the diatoms should I supplement them with algae sheets or something?

Personally, I wouldn't panic, diatoms don't last very long. Once they're gone the next phase of GHA will start so your snails will be fine. Plus they'll find stuff to eat off your glass and rocks.

Yep, it's all apart of the cycle ... It grows in our tanks from the silicates in the sand I believe, once they're all used up the algae should go away

Nothing really eats diatoms by definition of the word, but things like nassarius snails and bristleworms will keep it agitated and at least help keep the sand looking clean.

More flow helps too. I never really got a diatom bloom in my tank because I started with 60x turnover right off the bat.

Aye reef has got ya here, my snails mow down diatoms.
Are you sure your not thinking of Cyanobacteria? Nothing I know will touch that and its a half bacteria/half algae dinosaur =P

Here's a pic of "Snail Trail" in my tank when I just got it set up:
You can see certain areas are clean. I have Astreas, Ceriths, and Hermits. All eat it to my knowledge.
100_1098.jpg

Aye reef has got ya here, my snails mow down diatoms.
Are you sure your not thinking of Cyanobacteria? Nothing I know will touch that and its a half bacteria/half algae dinosaur =P
According to reefcleaners, cerith and nerite snails both eat cyano. Don't know if it's true but I'm gonna try them if I get another outbreak

On another note, I just recieved my protien skimmer today. Some clues on setup and adjustment please. How long before the nasty bubbles start to collect in the cup? How high should the water be in the funnel leading to the cup? Etc, ect.

What should it look like right now? Should I keep the water level up in the cone in the collection cup or in the main body? It is sending micro bubbles into the DT. I don't mind, really, but should I try to make it stop? How many bubbles should there be in the body? Right now it is full of bubbles but not really looking cyclonic.If I turn the air down it will stop sending bubbles into the tank but it doesn't look like a lot in the skimmer itself. Which is best. Sorry for all the questions. This is my first SW aquarium and I haven't dealt with a skimmer before.

Turn it down so that it's not collected anything in the cup and not sending bubbles into the display. Don't worry about trying to collect stuff until it breaks in -- if you do, you risk it flooding. It will be really finicky at first, you just sort of have to plug it in, turn it down so that it doesn't flood, and walk away for a few days! Once it breaks in and runs for a while, it will be much easier to dial in -- trust me!

Also, are you using any sort of tap water conditioner/dechlorinator? If so, that will prevent the skimmer from working. You will either need to use RODI water, or switch conditioners to SeaChem Prime, which supposedly doesn't screw with skimmers.

I have used stres coat marine when I first set up the tank and maybe once since then. I currently use ro water. I will make sure to make the adjustments, definitely don't want a flood, and see what happens. Wish I had been able to get the skimmer a few weeks ago. Oh well, can't win them all. Thanks Biff, you're a life saver.

you can also run the skimmer in a bucket of a vinager water mix and it helps to break them in faster it strips all the machining oils in the plastic

Back