What would you do?

rrbigdog

Reefing newb
I started with 30lb dry rock and 5 pieces live plus 60 lbs of live sand. I went through the cycle had ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and now all is 0 and diatoms are on the glass and rocks.

I needed more rock so I ordered 20 lbs more live rock from Dale at gulfview and it arrived today. It has alot of growth on it with color. He left a note to cure it. Right now I have in 18gal tub with heater and powerhead. I did find a dead small crab in the bottom of the container so I know there is most likely die off. Smells like I am at the beach. LOL. Ist that normal? Since I only have a few snails do I really need to cure it for a long period of time.

If I add to tank will I go through another cycle? And which would better. Add now or later - either way I don't plan to add fish until I have all the rock set up.

What would you do?

Attachments

• cycled.jpg
    cycled.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 261
You would def have a cycle happen. if you have no live stock you may as well stick in your DT and just wait the cylce out.

really up to you, you could get a fish now and cure the rock or put it in the DT and wait another week or so

I added LR to my 65G FOWLR and it cycled again for 6 days

Ok -- I decided to blow off with a powerhead while I had it in my blue tub to get all loose material off. I went ahead a put in my tank. Will now monitor the cycle. Here is a pic after I added it could use more but this will have to do for now. I am getting there. Here it is after it was added.

Will see what happens. Trying to take it slow while learning along the way.

Attachments

• new rock.jpg
    new rock.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 267
So I tested my water this morning and as I expected I see a small increase in ammonia and nitrite but no nitrate yet. I would expect that will change by tomorrow.

I have one question. Most of the live rocks I added had clams attached. I notice one has dropped off and is laying in the sand bed and has opened up about a half inch. I have not seen any movement. I was planning on monitoring it to see if there is any movement. Not to sure how to handle clams - I don't even have any fish yet.

I did find a hitchhiker - looks like a small hermit crab in a red/white shell about 1/2 inch long.

Also, those couple of turbo snails I had are my new best friends. Wherever they go they clear up the brown diatoms. Will wait out this latest cycle and add some more.

Back