Did you reinforce floor?

Hornet

Reefing newb
I'm wondering how many people have added some kinda of additional support for the added wait of their large aquariums.

I figure a rough estimate of a 4ft 120 tank w/sump, rock, sand and water to be around 2500 lbs. :helm2: With me not know much about the construction of floors that seems like a lot to be asking from my floors.

I went to a lfs around me today to order a standard 150 gal (4'x2'x2') and after many calls they said they could get me a non Reef Ready tank so I can drill. Well when I got there to supply the $ for the pre-order they claimed they could only get the RR tank. I've found another lfs that can get the standard for me but I have to drive about an hour to place the order. Anyway on the way home I just got the thinking about all this weight and was wondering if it would be wiser for me to just get a 120 gal 4' tank to save some weight.

Point being have you guys done anything special for your set-ups. My tank will be on first floor in my house. It is just a regular foundation house without a basement.

my house has a basement so my situation is different but i did reinforce my floor with an adjustable pole to help support the weight ... i bought for $50 at the local lumber store it is rated for 14,000 lbs ... anyone placing a tank on an upper floor i would recommend additional support for anything over 75-100G ... weight has a funny way of warping wood over time and for $50 why not save yourself on expensive repairs down the road

you should be fine. i have a 120 on the second floor of my house and my house also has a basement and i have no problems so far, knock on wood

The average live load (anything that is not the structure) allowance is 50 lbs per square foot. Going by just the footprint of our tanks, they are way too heavy. Lucky for us, that weight is dispersed around the floor so it all depends on placement and how the weight is dispersed. Its way to complicated so I wont try explaining. Simply, if your tank is on an outside wall your fine. If not, your gonna want to place it along the main support wall usually located along the center of the house. In the basement or crawlspace there should be an i beam supporting that wall. If you can get underneath, look for this i beam or massive wooden beam and locate your tank near that. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Water weighs 8.345 lbs per gallon

150g tank

225lbs of rock

100lbs of sand at least

200lbs at least for the tank

100lbs at least for the stand

150 x 8.345 = 1251.75lbs just in water.

+ rock, sand, tank and stand (625lbs) = 1876.75lbs

40g sump, but lets say you only fill it 50%.

20 x 8.345 = 166.9lbs of water

Tank 40lbs
Pump, skimmer, plumbing 25lbs at least

166.9 + 40 = 206.9

206.9 + 25 = 231.9lbs for the sump

Now lets say you displaced 40g of water in the display tank with sand and rocks. Probably not that much, but play along.

40 x 8.345 = 333.8lbs that we can subtract from the main tank.

1876.75 - 333.8 = 1542.95

+ the sump

1542.95 + 231.9 = 1774.85lbs for a 150g tank

I think thats a conservative guess. 2500lbs wouldn't surprise me. Another 100lbs of rock and/or 100lbs sand and a larger sump could easily add 400lbs to that. MH ballasts aren't light either. It all weighs something, therefore it all must be figured into the total weight.

Would I put 2000lbs on my living room floor without reinforcing the joists underneath? No.

I agree with gooseman. If you don't spend $50 or $100 NOW to reinforce the floor, it could cost you a whole bunch more down the road.

its just my opinion and i know everyones house is different but my house is older and things tend to sag a bit more (HEHEHE dont all things of age) so i reinforced my floor ... i guess its just a matter of luck or preference

If you only have a crawl space under your floor I would double up some 2x6s and run them perpendicular with the floor joists. You can either jack them up with a bottle jack and leave the jacks in or use 4x4s. If you want to overbuild it do two beams perpendicular 4x4s underneath parralel to the joists and jacks or 4x4s to the ground.

Biff I want to see you shore up your concrete.hahaha

^^ I guess that's one plus of having a house on a concrete slab.

I have a crawl space and luckily the place where I'm planning on putting my tank is located next to the main support wall. Although on the other side of that wall is my Fridge and Stove so I think I may check into putting some kinda support under under the beams (or whatever) they are called that run perpendicular away from the main support. Maybe not needed since I'm on the main support wall but it will make me feel a lot better.

Grrr I hate going under the house. It's so cramped under there

i have a 90 gallon
it sits on a concrete slab
if i were to put it on joists with a basement below i would have reinforced the floor
if i had a tank the size you are getting there would not even be a question

oh and Ryan G is right some cinder blocks and 2x4 or 4x4 will work fine if its just crawl space

Last edited:
I had to rebuild the floor at my old apartment that used to be the attic of an old house. You do what you need to for a reef tank is what I found out over the years. Some people even design their new houses around a display tank. I try to place tanks perpendicular to floor joists and parallel to nearby beams, or perpendicular to floor joists along outer walls or load bearing walls.

Back