Diet on Tang (Naso) and Nitrate Problem

cjavierpr

Reefing newb
Hi friends, I'm new in the salt water hobbie and I'm having two mayor problems in my aquarium. I have a fish/live rock 125 gal tank with: large french angel, medium sailfin tang, two blue face triggers (male/female), maroon clownfish, dog face puffer, harlequin tusk, a baby blue tang, small grouper and a Naso tang.

First:
The naso tang use too eat normally to the daily food and algea on rock but since two days ago its not eaten. I use to gave to all my fishes frozen shrimps and some pellets. Even though the tang is herb, it was eaten frozen shrimps. Could you guys have any clue what I'm doing wrong? Tomorrow I will bought some seaweeds to see if thats work.

Second:
My nitrates are wayyyyy too high and a friend told me that could be the amount of food that i gave to the fishes. At the beginning I was overfeeding the fishes but since one week ago I only feed the necessary amount and only once daily. I installed a new protein skimmer and a power head in one of the corner to increase the water movement. One thing that I noticed, is that I have a dead spot in one corner and that could be part of my problem. What should be a good water movement and if with regular water changes the nitrates could start dropping?

Thanks and happy holidays to all,

Carlos Javier

First off,Welcome to the reef.
You've got a lot of fish big fish in that tank.I wont say your over stocked,but you mighty dang close.That would account for your nitrate problems.
As for your tang not eating,There is probably something stressing it.Most stressed fish will stop eating.

The brand is Corallife model 33002. I hope it help me out with my water quality. I dont have any idea how good it is, so let see how it works.

Welcome to the reef!

IMO,your way overstock.A protein skimmer will help but not to the extent of keeping trates down.Have you thought of lightening up your fish list a bit.My advice,add a second powerhead,lighten the stock list,increase water changes and incorporate a refugium.

Thanks for the advice. Its curious how wrong I was thinking that I could have too many fishes. I will follow the advice of adding an additional power head and I was ready to get rid of the grouper for a start. On the refugium, I will need some advice.

CJ

if you add more liverock, it will help your nitrates. more water changes as well. Are you using a phosphate remover? that will also help. As for fish, a good rule of thumb is 1:5 inches of fish / gallon of water. 25-30 inches of fish is a good rule for your 125. You can push it to 35 inches of fish if you have a mature tank (over a year old) and you have sufficient live rock, skimmer and other filtration. You are looking a MASSIVE bioload due to lots of big fish. even if they are small now, they are all messy eaters. lighten up your load. 5-6 big fish will be enough for that size tank. It is a tough call though. I struggle with wanting to overstock my 125 as well. cut back feedings and that will help. they only need food every other day.

at some point, your french angel will outgrow that 125, they just get too big. as will the sailfin and the puffer. I would love to see pics of your tank though. I love french angels!!!

Back