Dire need of advice!

Dakwan

Reefing newb
So here's the deal.

I finally have my tank setup the way i like it and am really enjoying it:

here's the rub; I just got a position at work where i'm going to be spending about 10 days a month (straight) for about a year and a half at a remote site doing some engineering consulting work. It is a fantastic opportunity for myself both financially and experience wise.

The problem is that I live alone and don't have any family within a reasonably short driving distance.

I obviously can't leave the tank alone for 10 days and I'm not sure i trust an auto-feeder (i hate feeding pellets anyways) and auto top off system to work flawlessly for 1/3 of the year with no supervision.

I'm feeling I have to sell the whole thing and start again a couple years down the road..the thought of it is HORRIBLY depressing because I get alot of joy out of my tank, but I can't really see any other reasonable options.

If you were in my position what would you do?

Do you have an LFS nearby? My LFS will "tank sit" for a fee. I'm not sure how much that costs... But it's still worth checking out.

You only have to leave for 10 days a month, then you'll be back home? If that's the case, technically you'd only have to rely on the ATO 10 days at a time. And you fish can survive for 10 days without food. I wouldn't scrap your tank, if it were me.

Sounds like it's time to get a girlfriend. Geez. that was easy Dakwan..:D

Or you could see if your employer will give you a stipend for being out of town for 10 days..hire a pet service that can come in and feed your fish...us the stipend to pay the service.

if you wanna get a little crazy with it...

set up a laptop with a webcam facing the tank...set up an auto-feeder..purchase logmein ignition set up a specific time that the auto feeder works...log into the webcam so you can see the fish tank and see the auto feeder in action....if it doesn't work call a friend to come over and feed them the following day. You could also put the camera close enough so you could see tank temp, etc....give you a little piece of mind.

Last edited:
I think 10 days without food is risky... IMO.

I guess it would depend on the stocking of the tank, and pod populations but, in a 180 I think they'd be ok. I know several people that only feed their tanks once a month, if that much.

I would try to incorporate an auto feeder before I'd tear down my tank. With a little bit of luck everything will go smoothly when you're away from home.

I wouldn't tear it down neither...try to lighten up the bio-load (if needed) and set up the auto feeder to only feed a little at a time, so that extra nutrients don't fuel an algae bloom. Some people may not agree with me on this, but placing a lid on the tank will cut back on the evaporation. I left my tank for 5days unsupervised, and had no issues whatsoever.

so i guess a follow up would be can anybody recommend a good auto top up and auto feeder? I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks to get some better reliability

I'd get one....hook it up and start using it a week before you leave so that you can make any adjustments that you may need.

Back