disabled aquarisit needs advice

cak119

Reefing newb
I am disable and in a chair. I am starting a 125 saltwater tank, going to have soft corals and fish. im trying to find the easiest way for me to go about doing things because doing lots of water changes is hard for me, and so is cleaning up big messes if someting overflows. whats the best option for me?? I have been told i should use a canister filter that way i wont have to worry about something overflowing. please give me suggestions.this is the canister suggested for me CF500-UV CANISTER FILTER

Canister filter will be more of a burden as it must be cleaned every 2 to 3 days because it will become a nitrate factory if you dont. best bet is the sump with a nice skimmer, you can just have the skimmer with drain line and have it drain into a bigger container so that you only empty it evry week or so, All you would really have to do is Top of every day and water change every 2 weeks this way.

I use an Ehiem canister filter but i removed all the media. Its basicly 50% carbon and 50% PhosGuard. If you have a ton of live rock you really wont need any other filtration. If you're just doing soft corals and fish you should be good to go.

Sum1.said.asump would b a big issue cause it could overflow easy but if I had enough live rocl it would take care of nitrates from canister. ?? :-\

Nitrates only dissapear when A.) Algae eats it or B) you do a water change. Use your rocks for your filter and fill the canister with Carbon and Phosphate Absorbant and it'll keep your water VERY clear.

Sum1.said.asump would b a big issue cause it could overflow easy but if I had enough live rocl it would take care of nitrates from canister. ?? :-\

A sump is no more prone to overflowing than any other type of filter system.
If the filter isn't setup properly, it can cause some big headaches. Doesn't matter if it's a sump, canister, or even a hang on back.

You're better option may be have somebody set up the tank and maintain a tank that size.

I would set up an auto water change system. Do a search for this and you should get several examples and ways to accomplish this. Once set up, it's completely hands off except for throwing some salt into the container when mixing up a new batch and turning some valves, depending on what you are doing. I wouldn't want to be without mine.

+1 on setting up an auto water change system and using a sump instead of a canister. If you are absolutely certain you don't want a sump, then I'd get a large hang-on-back skimmer instead of a canister.

I would also recommend really planning out the set up with a controller and an easily accessibly sump to make things like maintenance, feeding, and turning pumps on and off easy for you.

Make sure to have an adequate clean up crew, keep your water parameters in check and stable, and have your rocks epoxied into place and then you won't have to be digging around in the tank very much for cleaning or rearranging.

I would also strongly suggest finding a couple of other local hobbiests in your area that you can call on for help if needed. Even with the best planning you will inevitably need help with something some day (all of us do).

Good luck!

I don't know what your budget is like, but, given your situation, paying someone to set the tank up and maintain it is probably going to be your best bet. It would take a huge strain off your end of the whole deal because you get all the perks of the saltwater tank, without any of the hassle of doing the work. Also, if you're going to do corals, I'd skip on hermit crabs (unless you reeeaaaallly want them lol). They can be more of a nuisance then they are worth (sometimes!). Check out your local craigslist for people in there area offering maintenance for saltwater tanks. If they are local and have their own tank, you may even end up with a friend to trade frags with when the time comes. Wish you the best of luck, and welcome to this wonderful (yet horribly frustrating) hobby :)!

Salt tanks are no easy task. So given your situation it could prove to be difficult. I'm sure a seasoned reefer would find ways around most problems like most of the ways mentioned.. but beeing new to the hobby i'm not so sure if it would go as planned..
Best thing you can do is thoroughly research every aspec before you go physical.

And last bit I reccomend a sump, and use a good skimmer! You wont regret!

I would suggest the following:

A drilled tank with an internal overflow. External Overflows are accident prone and can be tricky restart sometimes.

+1 on the auto-water change but you can even do a DIY setup. You can add plumb off a line for drainage from your main display tank drainage (you will need a ball valve to stop flow to your sump and one to stop flow to the drainage. As for adding the water - you can use a plastic garbage container (I use a 30g one). Mix up the water adding salt to the right salinity. Then use a mag pump to pump the water back. I would even add in built in plumbing for the purpose (I.e. add a water line from the pump setup to your pump return line with valves in the right place.

Sounds like you have a tank already because if you hadn't you may want to think about a shallow reef tank. That way you can have access easily in terms of maintenance. See the link - that's an really shallow version but you get the idea.

90 gallon shallow reef - Page 17 - The Reef Tank

I would keep the sump setup simple and not run filter bags (they require regular changing and are a pain. Definitely run a drainage line from your skimmer.

If your budget allows for it get an apex controller with the breakout box - you can then hook up easy to control switches for everything.

You can also set up a small pump to aid in getting the water from a bucket into the tank. That will help with water changes.

I have back issues and it is certainly possible to to do an entire water change without having to lift anything heavy. But plan it out in detail.

Here is a great suggestion: start with a smaller tank like a 20 gallon long. See how it goes for a few months or maybe a year. If its all good then go to a 125.

These responses are depressing. I know that they mean well, but I don't think your disability should stop you from enjoying the hobby or limit the size of your tank. As previous posters suggested you can automate the water change process. I also use canister filters, I have never had a nitrate problem and I remove and rinse the filters every week or two. Since the canister filters are under the stand they should be easier to access, but a sump is not more likely to overflow. I haven't switched to a sump bc I have a toddler and even if I locked the cabinet I would fear she would get into a sump, drop things in, pull things out, have a splash fest...you get the idea.

I am surprised no one has recommended looking for a reef club in your area. I know I would be happy to drop by a fellow reefer's house and do the lifting and such. I have had a tank maintenance company before do I have had it both ways. I prefer the joy that comes with caring for the tank myself, it makes enjoying it so much better. I keep my reef tanks for my autistic son so I modified the stand to be lower for him, that might help you with maintenance and feeding. There are shallower tanks to, but I don't think you HAVE to limit yourself to that. Depending on your space you could have a peninsula style tank that would give you access to both sides which might be helpful.

You may need to do things differently, but I think there is no reason you would be limited by your disability.

These responses are depressing. I know that they mean well, but I don't think your disability should stop you from enjoying the hobby or limit the size of your tank.

I don't see the responses that way (except for one or 2). Most responses are giving suggestions (which he did in fact ask for) on how to make things easier.

But definite +1 on canister filters being useless in the hobby -- while they can be used successfully in the hobby, they tend to be nitrate factories unless you clean them out on a regular basis, and IMHO, makes for extra unnecessary work. If you're in this to find easier ways to do this, then canister is not the way to go. The only sure way to get rid of nitrates is through water changes or with algae or an algae scrubber. Neutralizers have been known to work as well. But canister filters do not get rid of nitrates -- they act as a filter, catching debris and trapping them within itself, but then the debris breaks down and converts into nitrates.

I do think it's a good idea to find your local reefing club to help you out. You'll find people in this hobby are very helpful.

I guess I should have specified SOME responses were depressing. I have never had a nitrate problem, but my tank is 5+years old and has a good amount of live rock. I have no experience with a canister on a new tank. I am also very vigilant about cleaning each one alternating weeks. I would love to have a sump though and I would recommend going in that direction.

Kylekaitmom;628300I am also very vigilant about cleaning each one alternating weeks. I would love to have a sump though and I would recommend going in that direction.[/QUOTE said:
And that's why you have no nitrate problems ;) If you slack off, you will see nitrates creep up. But honestly, the live rock and live sand is all the bio filtration you need.

Back