Disappearing Green Mushroom

orzeljo609

Reefing newb
So the zoa frag that I bought the other day did most definitely had a hairy green mushroom on it. It was getting really big really fast so I decided to take it off of the frag ( because it was growing over top of the zoas ) and put it on another piece of LR. It was doing fine yesterday opened up again and then today it has mysteriously disappeared. I cant seem to find it anywhere in the tank and I looked everywhere I could without moving rocks around. Anyone else had corals disappear on them?

Mushrooms will detach and float away if they're not happy -- it happens all the time. I bet it's behind the rocks somewhere that you can't see it or reach it. I would say that it's not worth moving the rocks around to try and find it. You can always buy another mushroom, but messing with the rocks could cause water quality problems.

It may reappear sometime in the future, attached to a rock in a new place. You never know.

You mean you set it on another rock, or attached it to another rock?

It probably washed off the roch with the tank flow. It's in there somewhere,

I've lost plenty a-mushroom. Like Biff said, they will intentionally detach from a location if they are unhappy with the lighting or the flow. If you really T them off, they may also detatch. Mushrooms often have a better chance of staying where you've put them if you anchor them down with a piece of netting, hose, or thread until their foot is firmly anchored to a bit of rock or shell. Even then, they may still detach. They will ride the current until they get stuck somewhere else.

Alright so I found it just now....I thought he was anchored pretty good the last place the at I put him he seemed like he stuck to it for a while and then disappeared. Can anyone tell me what kind of glue is safe to put him back on where I want it. Preferably something that I can get at home depot since my LFS isnt open on Sundays.

You could try super glue gel. But mushrooms slime up pretty good and it is hard to get them to set in it. You could try doing what was suggsted earlier with the netting.

Take a plastic cup/bowl, fill the bottom up with some rubble.

Place the mushroom in the middle of the cup so it is touching some of the rubble.

Cover the cup with some plastic or nylon mesh.

Wait a week or so, the mushroom should have attached itself to one of the pieces of rock.

Place that rock where you want it.

You can use super glue but BJ is right about them sliming up. Turn the mushroom upside down on a towel and dry the foot off with a paper towel. Then put some superglue on a clean dry plug and set it onto the mushroom's foot. Blow on it for a few seconds and gently lift it up. Place it into the water and set it on the bottom with no flow for an hour or so to set up. Then place it where ever you want.

Back