Dispar Anthias

lisamarie806

Reefing newb
Every morning when I wake up my dispar anthias has wiite spots all over him and none of the other fish do, this has been going on for a week now. I have used Seachem. products to treat the fish for ick. I mix one measure of metronidazole,one measure of focus, with some garlic gaurd, I mix all this in the frozen foods that Im going to feed to my fish.....I have done this for 5 days now, the directions say once or twice a day for like a week or two. Like I said the only one who has anything is the anthias and then it is only present of the morning, none of the othe fish dart or scarpe against any thing in the aquarium. Im thinking maybe I should just stop the meds to see if the meds are making the anthias better or is he better as he gets more active. Im not sure all this med. in the water,it cant be good for my fish. I trust seachem products I think they are very good products. Im just not sure why my anthias does this and then he is better and what should I do. I also have a question about calcium. Where should the calcium level be? mine is like is like 340, I have been using Reef advantage calcium to bring up the calcium, I have Reef complete, of the two, what would be the better product to use. I also have Seachem. Strontium, Should I use it without testing the strontium levels or do I need to get a test for this? The lfs. told me that I needed the strontium for any corals I may have in my tank. Can someone help me out with such a severe problem.

it doesnt sound like your fish as ich, fish lose there color and some get white spots on them when they sleep, also never add anything you dont test for, strontium isnt even nessacery to add and there are no reliable test kits available to us hobbiests

Thanks maybe I will just do without all the meds and see how it goes. It seems the lfs sold me a product that I did not even need. Can you tell me where my calcium levels need to be for good coal growth. So the strontium that are on the market are "not all that" and very costly, they are like around 45.00 dollars. I was about to order one thinking I needed it. So maybe I will get me a nice coral for what I was going t spend on the test kit:) THANKS

Definitely stop all meds. They have absolutely no affect on ich, if that's what the fish even has. I had 3 dispars, but didn't deworm them and they all eventually died. They never showed any white spots tho.

A good calcium range is 380-420. But along with calcium, you need to keep your alk in the 8-10 dKH range and magnesium around 1300. All 3 go hand in hand and you should test for all 3.

Don't waste your time or $ on strontium. It gets replenished when you do water changes.

ccCapt is right, even if it was ich, the meds you are using are not for ich, so they wouldn't be doing any good anyways. If your calcium is at 340, it's fine. I am assuming you don't have a lot of SPS corals. If not, just doing regular water changes should keep it at a correct level.

Im confused, usually calc doesnt effect fish. Also, using phytoplankton will help keep your anthias fat and happy. Ive had one for 10 months without a problem. Also remember biology not technology.

Im confused, usually calc doesnt effect fish. Also, using phytoplankton will help keep your anthias fat and happy. Ive had one for 10 months without a problem. Also remember biology not technology.
No fish eats phyto. It's way too small...and there is no way it will keep anthias fat.

Yes thats what i meant. Even then its hard. I feed mine twice a day and it still looks slim. But doing well.

Back