Display tank almost overflowing

Ithaca9

Reefing newb
I have a sump/fuge below my tank fed by an e-shopps overflow and returned by a mag5. I have had the overflow set so that the tank height is around 1'' from the rim of the top of the tank. I looked at it this morning, and it's almost overflowing over the top of the display. I haven't added water to the return section since yesterday morning. The overflow box is clean and the lines don't seem clogged with anything. I haven't touched the overflow in weeks. Why would this be happening? I've turned the system on and off a few times now this morning, and re-cleaned the overflow and its pieces, but the display tank returns to near-overflowing after about 20 minutes. I'm confused.

Sounds like you need to adjust it some. For some reason you pump is working faster than your overflow can handle even though you cleaned it.

I have the same setup as you. Take in consideration mine has been up for only a few days. But I did notice if the overflow box sits lower in the water you'll get less flow, higher seems to increase flow.

What I did was set the overflow to where I wanted it then adjusted the return with a ball valve to get it right. Took some time to get it right but works well once you do. Hope this helps at all.

I'd double check to see that your overflows are cleaned and that a snail didn't make camp in there or something funky... If you have never had to restrict your pump in the past, it would seem like just putting a band-aid on it now. Try to figure out the real problem here.

Back