disposal of old saltwater

Bertie

Reefing newb
I know most people live on a public drain system, and dump their residue from water changes down the drain, but we have a septic tank, and that is not a workable solution to us. We also live in the woods, and have been dumping our used salt water along our 1/8 mile driveway.

But I don't want to turn our surroundings into Carthage (sown with salt so nothing will ever grow there) and the problem is slowly growing, gallon by gallon. Does anyone have an idea for the ecologically sound disposal of used aquarium water? ( The deer will only lick so much . . . )

I also have a septic tank and I dont want to continuously dump in it.. I just never dump the pails in the same place. I change out about 40 gallons every other week and 10 plus gallons every week and have been doing it that way for years and never had a problem with anything not growing in those areas..:D

Consider how much salt gets dumped on the roads in winter. I highly doubt you will have a problem. If you are very concerned, perhaps get a wide basin, like a restaurant bus tray, and let the water evaporate.

I would find a less desireable spot in the back yard & dig a hole maybe 2.5-3 feet deep & maybe 18 inches wide.Then dump water in just that hole. Let the size of your water changes be your deciding factor. By the time you do your next w/c the previous water should be soaked up. Lol!!! If you cant avoid "Carthage"....control th the size of it. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Does anyone ever worry about dumping the salt water down the drains in your place? I suspect the pipes in my place are really old and worry that salt water could corrode right through them.

I use about 4000 gallons of water per month. Roughly 30 per month are salt water. That is under 1%, so I don't worry at all. When I dump my water, I do partially fill the sink, then pull the stopper so that any sandy materials get flushed out and the pipes get rinsed.

I'm dumping 60-80g a month right out my back door and the weeds are loving it! I'm assuming that your 29g tank is the only tank for SW? I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Back