Ditritus - where does it originate, how to remove?

CMOS

Reefing newb
Hey Guys,

I have (another) noob question: I have a fair amount of Ditritus on my reef and on the substrate. It's very noticeable with its gray shading.

Where does this matter come from and how do I remove (prevent?) it?

For the record, my CUC consists of 2 Scarlet shriimp, 1 Peppermint shrimp, and 2 Turbo snails. I only have a couple of fish in the tank and am pretty careful to not overfeed.

I also have concluded that I do not currently have enough circulation in my tank - maybe part of the sediment problem?. I'm running an AquaC Remora skimmer and have a single Korilia-1 PH. Tank size is 30"L x 13W x 32" tall.

Thanks for your thoughts.

CMOS

I believe detrius originates from a fishes butt.

HAHA you beat me to it. I was going to say from the anuses of the creatures in your tank.

I agree more flow, skimming, and water changes. You can't prevent it, but flow will help keep it suspended and you skimmer will help pull it out, also use a turkey baster and blow it around along with you rock right before a water change so you can pull some out.

Yep,their all right.Detritus comes out of the south end of a north bound fish.
Remember this on flow:
If the sands staying on the bottom,you DONT have too much flow.

Good input guys.

I just did a 10% water change along with a substrate vacuum. Looks better. I also just ordered 2 powerheads: a Korilia-2 and a Maxi-Jet 900. I'll see how these work out.

Now I have to try to figure out why my algea-eating blenny committed suicide by jumping out! :grumble:

CMOS

Back