DIY 120mm Cooling Fans

navyguyame

Reefing newb
So i was concerned about the heat that my lights are putting off and i didnt want to spend 400 dollars for a chiller so i am going to give this a try. I ordered 8 120mm fans on amazon for like 15 dollars and some odds and ends supplies from radio shack and here is what i came up with. Tell me what you think.
DSC01387.jpg

DSC01386-1.jpg

DSC01385.jpg

Navy, awesome build! If you had a controller, you could even wire them up so they go on automatically when the temp hits a certain level, so you can save watts.

Have you observed a difference?

Tank is empty right now but with out the fans the temp was hitting 105F with i am only seeing temps of 85F so we will see i have a rodi filter on the way and i will fill it up. But here are the pics of what i have so far.
The stand still needs doors
DSC01395.jpg

Some of the wiring and the ballast for the MH
DSC01390.jpg

Some of the plumbing and the uv light
DSC01389.jpg

I still have a long way to go it should be done soon i will keep you posted

oh and reef i also completed to mods to my protein skimmer here are the pics of that.

DSC01393.jpg

The link reef gave me told me the pump should sit no more than 2 inches under the water mine is 1 1/2" inches.
DSC01392.jpg

Got rid of the original outflow tubing it as well will not sit very low in the water.
DSC01391.jpg

this should eliminate the back pressure and keep the skimmer from over flowing but we will see how is goes.

Navy, awesome build! If you had a controller, you could even wire them up so they go on automatically when the temp hits a certain level, so you can save watts.

Have you observed a difference?

I thought about wiring them to a controller but i dont have one right now they will have to stay on all the time. They are almost silent each is moving 55 cfm of air so 330 cfm total and only drawing 15 watts. I am in base housing here in oak harbor Washington so i dont have to pay the electric or the water bill so thats nice.

Looks very good. The nipple need to be removed from the intake strainer, the portion that attaches to the pump. Put the airline in that hole. That will create smaller bubbles in the body and = better skimming. The other line you put into the silencer should be ok. You will need to buy the black foam to go over the outlet portion of your new mod, that will eliminate bubbles, unless its going in sump, then no worries.

The air intake protion of the strainer is to small. It does not allow in enough air, thats why that part need to be modified.

yeah i have the new one the air intake is on the top. i will see how it works should have the rest of the things that i need to finish the tank.

the crud comes out so frothy, it lifts my lid off. And I drilled 3 more holes into the lid, and it still does it. Mine is used as HOB

I have to say that looks digusting. i was thinking that i am going to do mine wet instead of dry and use the little hose they providedd to over flow in to a one gallon jug so i wont have to empty it as much.

I have the line attached to a one gallon jug, that sits inside a 5 gallon cut in half pale. You will be able to get away with it better than I can. Yours is in a sump which will have a constant water level. I try to adjust it when I can, but just had the freakin thing overflow when I was gone yesterday, and lost 15 gallons to the floor.....

ouch that sucks i am trying to avoid that as i am in a rent house. but i am starting to think it is more when not if it is going to happen

With a sump, your in better shape than I am. I have to fill the tank everyday to keep the water level the same, therfore keeping the skimmer working the same. So instead of filling the tank, I adjust the skimmer, and sometimes....OUCH...I get it to overflow. But, it happens. With the sump you maintain water levels with the baffles and avoid this issue.

i am going to have an auto top off too and a tank behind the stand so i dont have to worry about filling it every day. I just waiting for money. It has been a year long project that keeps getting put on hold so i hope to have it done soon.

Back