diy bubble trap for CC super skimmer

Damseluver

Reefing newb
I have decided to try going sumpless with the new 120 tank. This means hanging on the skimmer (ugh). I hate micro bubbles and also have no idea what happened to the original bubble trap for the coralife super skimmer 220 (that did not work worth a crap anyway), I had to improvise.

Below is what I came up with and seems to be working great. A 3/4 PVC coupling fits snugly into the skimmers output and does not leak. For peace of mind I have used a cable tie to attache the entire bubble trap assembly to the skimmer which eliminates any chance of the assembly coming loose from the skimmer.

1/4 inch holes are drilled into the 3/4 pvc where the foam sleeve slides over. The foam sleeve will likely be the hard part to find but I had one laying around. Sleeve must fit snugly and adapters can be used in the PVC if one inch sleeves are all that you can find. I drilled as many holes as possible to eliminate and chance of back pressure on the skimmer.

It has been running like this for a few days and skimrate seems to be unaffected. It actually seems to be working a tad better than when I had it in a sump and is much easier to access for fine tuning. Better yet there are zero micro bubbles getting into tank.

I believe all CC super skimmers have the same diameter output so this configuration should work with all versions. Eventually I will get around to painting the plumbing and find a black foam sleeve to match my black background.

bubbletrap.JPG

Last edited:
You should wash the foam Frequently to prevent the same problem as people have with bio balls, other wise it is great that it works well.

Back