Superglue gel
Scissors
Box cutter or knife

5488201653_440e0c8680.jpg

Take out the plastic basket that holds the sponge and filter media

5488201895_43b62b20ac.jpg

Cut the basket into 3 pieces as shown

5488202109_aab3cccc31.jpg

Take the bottom piece and cut 2 small notches evenly down each of the raised lines

5488801118_f2419b5b95.jpg

Take one of the side pieces and cut off the top
5488801646_4006391054.jpg

Get your handy dandy super glue gel
5488203761_f2244761b4.jpg

Take bottom piece, line it up with the water over flow with the newly cut notches pointing in toward the back of the filter box and super glue into place holding it for about 30 seconds then letting it dry for a few minutes

5488802134_8d182b11e2.jpg

Take the side piece that you cut the top off of and gently slide it down into the grooves that you cut out

5488802962_3b9cb99326.jpg

Take that huge sponge they gave you and slice it in half, save the other half for the next time you need to change it out

5488205551_3ced76b16b.jpg

Slide the half sponge in sideways on the side where the water flows into the box

5488803882_af4e597068.jpg

Insert any cheato or carbon bag that you prefer into your new large open box!

5488206903_1f2d86b9f7.jpg

Very cool,i did something very similar with my old aqua clear 110 .....i had LR rubble in the bottom and was growing mostly hair algae ...

Very cool,i did something very similar with my old aqua clear 110 .....i had LR rubble in the bottom and was growing mostly hair algae ...

Yeah I plan to go to just rubble and the cheato that I ordered from Biff, just waiting for it to come in the mail.

i love those filters, they are so cheap looking when they are on the shelf next to emporers and fluvals, but man they kick so much a$$ i kinda did the same thing but actually made a fuge

i have a a.c. 30 on my 3 gallon and a.c. 20 is dinky id say no smaller than a 50 just for capacity, plus it acts like a mini powerhead the water flowing and all

would that be a better setup with the 50 gallon model running on a 29 gallon tank than the original way that they were designed?

Which Aquaclear model size would you recommend for a 10 gallon? Would the AC 20 have enough room?

I would go with the 50 at least just cause it will give you plenty of room for growing the pods and cheato it wont hurt to have it bigger than what is called for and you can adjust the amount of flow that comes out to some extent.

the fifty worked great on my ten gallon tank as originally designed and would be even better for it with this setup

Did you still need to place a powerhead in the tank? I have a Koralia nano. You think I would still need it even with the added flow of the AC 50?

Hey i have a 29 gallon and i deleted my sump/refugium to reduce the risk of overflowing in my apartment. However i really want to keep a Mandarin Goby, do you think a 70 gallon Aquaclear will be enough to sustain him with pods? Or maybe a 110 gallon Aquaclear??

Maybe, but you would really be pushing it. Either way, you should wait at least 6 months before adding one and try and find one that eats frozen so you can supplement.

If I went ahead and built a 110g one do you think that would be too much water movement? Ill also have a HOB Reef Octopus BH-100 and a Since Voyager 1

Those HOB filter won't add near as much water movement as you think, You;l definitely be fine with it. As to your first question, I don't think it would be capable of supplying your tank with enough pods to keep a mandarin long term. I had a 20L refugium on my Nanocube for a while and it still couldn't supply enough for my mandarin.

Cant you buy those pods in a bottle though? My LFS just squirts some in the tanks and the fish eat them. Seems like a waste of a tank to use it just to grow pods when you can buy them as you need them.

Ya, you can. But each one of those bottled pods costs around $20, and to feed a mandarine i would estimate you would need at minimum, two bottles a week. That adds up fast.

Back